Institutional Quality Database
In this paper we emphasize the role of institutions in economic analysis. We describe and compare different institutional classifications systems, which is rarely done in the literature, and show how to operationalize institutional classification based on the subject category, as the most appropriate one. More than thirty established institutional indicators can be clustered into three homogenous groups of formal institutions: legal, political and economic, which capture to a large extent the complete formal institutional environment of a country. We compute the latent quality of legal, political and economic institutions with factor analysis for every country in the world and for every year, relative to the values of others. We propose aWorld Institutional Quality Ranking, through which we can follow whether a country is improving or worsening its relative institutional environment. The calculated latent institutional qualities can be especially useful in further panel data applications, and add to the usual practice of using simply one or another index of institutional quality to capture the institutional environment, so we make the Institutional Quality Database freely available online
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglass C. North, 2005.
"Introduction to Understanding the Process of Economic Change
[Understanding the Process of Economic Change]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001.
"The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1369-1401, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2000. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 7771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kuncic, Aljaz, 2012. "Institutional quality database," Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers 457, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Coase, Ronald, 1998. "The New Institutional Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 72-74, May.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
- Theo Eicher & Oliver Röhn, 2007. "Institutional Determinants of Economic Performance in OECD Countries – An Institutions Climate Index," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 5(1), pages 38-49, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieasw:457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.