A general solution framework for component commonality problems
Component commonality, the use of the same version of a component across multiple products, is increasingly considered as a promising way to offer high external variety while retaining low internal variety in operations. However, increasing commonality has both positive and negative cost effects, so that optimization approaches are required to identify an optimal commonality level. As a more or less of components influences nearly every process step along the supply chain, it is not astounding that a multitude of diverging commonality problems is investigated in literature, each of which developing a specific algorithm designed for the respective commonality problem considered. The paper on hand aims at a general framework, flexible and effcient enough to be applied to a wide range of commonality problems. Such a procedure basing on a two-stage graph approach is presented and tested. Finally, flexibility of the procedure is shown by customizing the framework to account for different types of commonality problems.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in: BuR - Business Research 2/1 (2009), 86-106.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carl-Zeiss-Strasse 3, 07743 JENA|
Phone: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Fax: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Web page: http://www.wiwiss.uni-jena.de/index.html
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: If a paper is not downloadable, please contact the author(s) or the library of University of Jena, not the archive maintainer.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perera, H. S. C. & Nagarur, Nagen & Tabucanon, Mario T., 1999. "Component part standardization: A way to reduce the life-cycle costs of products," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 109-116, April.
- Marshall Fisher & Kamalini Ramdas & Karl Ulrich, 1999. "Component Sharing in the Management of Product Variety: A Study of Automotive Braking Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(3), pages 297-315, March.
- Boysen, Nils & Fliedner, Malte, 2008. "A versatile algorithm for assembly line balancing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(1), pages 39-56, January.
- Yigal Gerchak & Michael J. Magazine & A. Bruce Gamble, 1988. "Component Commonality with Service Level Requirements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(6), pages 753-760, June.
- Hans Sebastian Heese & Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, 2006. "Product Line Design with Component Commonality and Cost-Reduction Effort," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 206-219, May.
- Pentico, David W., 2008. "The assortment problem: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(2), pages 295-309, October.
- Kamalini Ramdas & Marshall Fisher & Karl Ulrich, 2003. "Managing Variety for Assembled Products: Modeling Component Systems Sharing," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(2), pages 142-156, November.
- Kim, Kilsun & Chhajed, Dilip, 2000. "Commonality in product design: Cost saving, valuation change and cannibalization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 602-621, September.
- Nils Boysen & Malte Fliedner & Armin Scholl, 2006. "Assembly line balancing: Joint precedence graphs under high product variety," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 34/2006, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Kenneth R. Baker & Michael J. Magazine & Henry L. W. Nuttle, 1986. "The Effect of Commonality on Safety Stock in a Simple Inventory Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(8), pages 982-988, August.
- Klose, Andreas & Drexl, Andreas, 2005. "Facility location models for distribution system design," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 4-29, April.
- Kamalini Ramdas & Mohanbir S. Sawhney, 2001. "A Cross-Functional Approach to Evaluating Multiple Line Extensions for Assembled Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 22-36, January.
- Jans, Raf & Degraeve, Zeger & Schepens, Luc, 2008. "Analysis of an industrial component commonality problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 801-811, April.
- Suresh K. Nair & Lakshman S. Thakur & Kuang-Wei Wen, 1995. "Near Optimal Solutions for Product Line Design and Selection: Beam Search Heuristics," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(5), pages 767-785, May.
- Wieslaw Sadowski, 1959. "A Few Remarks on the Assortment Problem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 67, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Krarup, Jakob & Pruzan, Peter Mark, 1983. "The simple plant location problem: Survey and synthesis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 36-57, January.
- Preyas Desai & Sunder Kekre & Suresh Radhakrishnan & Kannan Srinivasan, 2001. "Product Differentiation and Commonality in Design: Balancing Revenue and Cost Drivers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 37-51, January.
- Hillier, Mark S., 2002. "Using commonality as backup safety stock," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 353-365, January.
- Nils Boysen & Malte Fliedner & Armin Scholl, 2007. "Level Scheduling of Mixed-Model Assembly Lines under Storage Constraints," Jena Research Papers in Business and Economics - Working and Discussion Papers 09/2007, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, School of Economics and Business Administration.
- Paul E. Green & Abba M. Krieger, 1985. "Models and Heuristics for Product Line Selection," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(1), pages 1-19.
- David A. Collier, 1982. "Aggregate Safety Stock Levels and Component Part Commonality," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(11), pages 1296-1303, November.
- Ma, Shihua & Wang, Wei & Liu, Liming, 2002. "Commonality and postponement in multistage assembly systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(3), pages 523-538, November.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Eva Labro, 2004. "The Cost Effects of Component Commonality: A Literature Review Through a Management-Accounting Lens," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(4), pages 358-367, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jen:jenjbe:2008-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.