Scheduling freight trains in rail-rail transshipment yards
Transshipment yards, where gantry cranes allow for an effcient transshipment of containers between different freight trains, are important entities in modern railway systems and facilitate the general shift from point-to-point transport to hub-and-spoke railway systems. Modern rail-rail transshipment yards accelerate container handling, so that multiple smaller trains with equal destination can be consolidated to a reduced number of trains without jeopardizing on time deliveries. An important problem continuously arising during the daily operations of a transshipment yard is the train scheduling problem, which decides on the succession of trains at the parallel railway tracks. This problem with a special focus on resolving deadlocks and avoiding multiple crane picks per container move is investigated within the paper on hand. A mathematical program along with a complexity proof is provided and exact (Dynamic Programming) and heuristic (Beam Search) procedures are described.
|Date of creation:||22 May 2008|
|Publication status:||Published in: Transportation Science 45/2 (2011), 199-211.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carl-Zeiss-Strasse 3, 07743 JENA|
Phone: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Fax: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-jena.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: If a paper is not downloadable, please contact the author(s) or the library of University of Jena, not the archive maintainer.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harald Rotter, 2004. "New operating concepts for intermodal transport: The mega hub in Hanover/Lehrte in Germany," Transportation Planning and Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(5), pages 347-365, October.
- He, Shiwei & Song, Rui & Chaudhry, Sohail S., 2000. "Fuzzy dispatching model and genetic algorithms for railyards operations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 307-331, July.
- Freling, R. & Lentink, R.M. & Kroon, L.G. & Huisman, D., 2002. "Shunting of Passenger Train Units in a Railway Station," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-74-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Ballis, Athanasios & Golias, John, 2002. "Comparative evaluation of existing and innovative rail-road freight transport terminals," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 593-611, August.
- Nils Boysen & Malte Fliedner & Armin Scholl, 2007. "Sequencing Mixed-Model Assembly Lines to Minimize Part Inventory Cost," Jena Research Papers in Business and Economics - Working and Discussion Papers 03/2007, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, School of Economics and Business Administration.
- Sabuncuoglu, Ihsan & Gocgun, Yasin & Erel, Erdal, 2008. "Backtracking and exchange of information: Methods to enhance a beam search algorithm for assembly line scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(3), pages 915-930, May.
- Macharis, C. & Bontekoning, Y. M., 2004. "Opportunities for OR in intermodal freight transport research: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 400-416, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jen:jenjbe:2008-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.