R&D Co-operation in European Post-transition Economies
Innovation systems abroad become more and more important to multinational enterprises (MNEs) as sources of knowledge and technology. On the other hand, MNEs’ foreign subsidiaries can be considered agents of technological and economic development in their target location region. Applying a logit estimation, this discussion paper investigates which firm- and region-specific determinants influence cooperations in the area of research and development (R&D) between the foreign subsidiary and the regional innovation system. Results suggest that especially the foreign subsidiary’s mandate in terms of R&D and management, its size and the regional knowledge stock are positively associated with these co-operations. The analysis focuses on posttransition economies, using the example of five selected CEE countries and East Germany. We exploit a unique dataset – the IWH FDI Micro Database – which holds information on 1,245 foreign subsidiaries in this region.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kleine Märkerstrasse 8, 06108 Halle (Saale)|
Phone: (0345) 7753-60
Fax: (0345) 7753-820
Web page: http://www.iwh-halle.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fu, Xiaolan & Pietrobelli, Carlo & Soete, Luc, 2011. "The Role of Foreign Technology and Indigenous Innovation in the Emerging Economies: Technological Change and Catching-up," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1204-1212, July.
- A. Gauselmann & M. Knell & J. Stephan, 2011. "What drives FDI in Central-Eastern Europe? Evidence from the IWH-FDI-Micro database," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(3), pages 343-357.
- Criscuolo,Paola & Narula,Rajneesh & Verspagen,Bart, 2002.
"The relative importance of home and host innovation systems in the internationalisation of MNE R&D: a patent citation analysis,"
035, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Criscuolo, P. & Narula, R. & Verspagen, B., 2002. "The relative importance of home and host innovation systems in the internationalisation of MNE R&D: a patent citation analysis," Working Papers 02.20, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Jutta Günther & Johannes Stephan & Björn Jindra, 2008.
"Foreign Subsidiaries in the East German Innovation System - Evidence from Manufacturing Industries,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 59(Supplemen), pages 137-172.
- Günther, Jutta & Jindra, Björn & Stephan, Johannes, 2008. "Foreign Subsidiaries in the East German Innovation System – Evidence from Manufacturing Industries," IWH Discussion Papers 4/2008, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH).
- Jutta Günther & Andrea Gauselmann & Philipp Marek & Johannes Stephan & Björn Jindra, 2011. "An Introduction to the IWH FDI Micro Database," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 131(3), pages 529-546.
- Rajneesh Narula & Antonello Zanfei, 2003. "Globalisation of Innovation The Role of Multinational Enterprises," DRUID Working Papers 03-15, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Cristiano Perugini & Fabrizio Pompei & Marcello Signorelli, 2008.
"FDI, R&D and human capital in Central and Eastern European countries,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 317-345.
- Cristiano Perugini & Fabrizio Pompei & Marcello Signorelli, 2008. "FDI, R&D and Human Capital in Central and Eastern European Countries," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 48/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Jindra, Björn & Giroud, Axèle & Scott-Kennel, Joanna, 2009. "Subsidiary roles, vertical linkages and economic development: Lessons from transition economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 167-179, April.
- Klaus E. Meyer & Ram Mudambi & Rajneesh Narula, 2011. "Multinational Enterprises and Local Contexts: The Opportunities and Challenges of Multiple Embeddedness," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 235-252, 03.
- Fritsch, Michael & Lukas, Rolf, 1998.
"Who Cooperates on R&D?,"
Freiberg Working Papers
1998,12, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- repec:zbw:iwhdps:7-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Giroud, Axèle & Jindra, Björn & Marek, Philipp, 2012. "Heterogeneous FDI in Transition Economies – A Novel Approach to Assess the Developmental Impact of Backward Linkages," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 2206-2220.
- Santangelo, Grazia D., 2009. "MNCs and linkages creation: Evidence from a peripheral area," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 192-205, April.
- Andrea Gauselmann & Philipp Marek, 2012. "Regional determinants of MNE’s location choice in post-transition economies," Empirica, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 487-511, November.
- Lu, Jane W. & Beamish, Paul W., 2006. "Partnering strategies and performance of SMEs' international joint ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 461-486, July.
- N. Lesca, 2011. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00640604, HAL.
- Cantwell, John & Piscitello, Lucia, 2000. "Accumulating Technological Competence: Its Changing Impact on Corporate Diversification and Internationalization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 21-51, March.
- John Cantwell & Simona Iammarino, 1998. "MNCs, Technological Innovation and Regional Systems in the EU: Some Evidence in the Italian Case," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 383-408.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Guimon, Jose, 2010. "The R&D activity of multinational enterprises in peripheral economies: evidence from the EU new member states," MERIT Working Papers 048, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jutta Günther & Oliver Gebhardt, 2005. "Eastern Germany in the Process of Catching Up : The Role of Foreign and West German Investors in Technological Renewal," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(3), pages 78-102, May.
- Robert M. Grant & Charles Baden-Fuller, 2004. "A Knowledge Accessing Theory of Strategic Alliances," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 61-84, 01.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Veugelers, Reinhilde & Zuniga, Pluvia, 2009. "Diversity of science linkages and innovation performance: some empirical evidence from Flemish firms," Economics Discussion Papers 2009-30, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Patel, Pari & Vega, Modesto, 1999. "Patterns of internationalisation of corporate technology: location vs. home country advantages1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 145-155, March.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Santangelo, Grazia Domenica, 2012. "The tension of information sharing: Effects on subsidiary embeddedness," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 180-195.
- Michael Spence, 1976. "Symposium: The Economics of Information: Informational Aspects of Market Structure: An Introduction," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(4), pages 591-597.
- Sergey Filippov & Geert Duysters, 2011. "Competence-building in foreign subsidiaries: The case of new EU member states," Journal for East European Management Studies, Rainer Hampp Verlag, vol. 16(4), pages 286-314.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iwh:dispap:4-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tobias Henning)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.