A note on GMM-estimation of probit models with endogenous regressors
Dagenais (1999) and Lucchetti (2002) have demonstrated that the naive GMM estimator of Grogger (1990) for the probit model with an endogenous regressor is not consistent. This paper completes their discussion by explaining the reason for the inconsistency and presenting a natural solution. Furthermore, the resulting GMM estimator is analyzed in a Monte-Carlo simulation and compared with alternative estimators.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0345) 7753-60
Fax: (0345) 7753-820
Web page: http://www.iwh-halle.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard W. Blundell & James L. Powell, 2004.
"Endogeneity in Semiparametric Binary Response Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(3), pages 655-679.
- Richard W. Blundell & James L. Powell, 2004. "Endogeneity in Semiparametric Binary Response Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71, pages 655-679, 07.
- Richard Blundell & James Powell, 2001. "Endogeneity in semiparametric binary response models," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Daiji Kawaguchi & Hisahiro Naito, 2005. "The efficient moment estimation of the probit model with an endogenous continuous regressor," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-106, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Riccardo LUCCHETTI, 2000.
"Inconsistency Of Naive GMM Estimation For QR Models With Endogenous Regressors,"
140, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Lucchetti, Riccardo, 2002. "Inconsistency of naive GMM estimation for QR models with endogenous regressors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 179-185, April.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 2002.
"Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1985. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 370-79, October.
- Newey, Whitney K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1986. "Large sample estimation and hypothesis testing," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 36, pages 2111-2245 Elsevier.
- Avery, Robert B & Hansen, Lars Peter & Hotz, V Joseph, 1983. "Multiperiod Probit Models and Orthogonality Condition Estimation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(1), pages 21-35, February.
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- Dagenais, Marcel G., 1999. "Inconsistency of a proposed nonlinear instrumental variables estimator for probit and logit models with endogenous regressors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 19-21, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iwh:dispap:4-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hubert Gabrisch)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Hubert Gabrisch to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.