Natural-resource or Market-seeking FDI in Russia? An Empirical Study of Locational Factors Affecting the Regional Distribution of FDI Entries
This paper conducts an empirical study of the factors that affect the spatial distribution of foreign direct investment (FDI) across regions in Russia; in particular, this paper is concerned with those regions that are endowed with natural resources and market-related benefits. Our analysis employs data on Russian firms with a foreign investor during the 2000-2009 period and linked regional statistics in the conditional logit model. The main findings are threefold. First, we conclude that one theory alone is not able to explain the geographical pattern of foreign investments in Russia. A combination of determinants is at work; market-related factors and the availability of natural resources are important factors in attracting FDI. The relative importance of natural resources seems to grow over time, despite shocks associated with events such as the Yukos trial. Second, existing agglomeration economies encourage foreign investors by means of forces generated simultaneously by sector-specific and inter-sectoral externalities. Third, the findings imply that service-oriented FDI co-locates with extraction industries in resource-endowed regions. The results are robust when Moscow is excluded and for subsamples including only Greenfield investments or both Greenfield investments and mergers and acquisitions (M&A).
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kleine Märkerstrasse 8, 06108 Halle (Saale)|
Phone: (0345) 7753-60
Fax: (0345) 7753-820
Web page: http://www.iwh-halle.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2008.
"Factors Determining FDI to Nigeria: An Empirical Investigation,"
28097, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2010.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2009. "Factors determining FDI in Nigeria: an empirical investigation," MPRA Paper 40172, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 16 Jul 2012.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 1999.
"Foreign direct investment in China: a spatial econometric study,"
1999-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment in China: A Spatial Econometric Study," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 1-23, 01.
- Mina, Wasseem, 2007. "The location determinants of FDI in the GCC countries," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 336-348, October.
- Kayam, Saime S. & Hisarciklilar, Mehtap & Yabrukov, Alexandr, 2007.
"What causes the regional disparity of FDI in Russia? a spatial analysis,"
39151, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saime Kayam & Alexandr Yabrukov & Mehtap Hisarciklilar, 2013. "What Causes the Regional Disparity of FDI in Russia? A Spatial Analysis," Transition Studies Review, Springer;Central Eastern European University Network (CEEUN), vol. 20(1), pages 63-78, April.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Michael Bruno & Jeffrey Sachs, 1982. "Input Price Shocks and the Slowdown in Economic Growth: The Case of U.K. Manufacturing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(5), pages 679-705.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2007. "Defining and Measuring the Location of FDI Output," NBER Working Papers 12996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Train, 2003.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Online economics textbooks,
SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2.
- Spies, Julia, 2010.
"Network and border effects: Where do foreign multinationals locate in Germany?,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 20-32, January.
- Julia Spies, 2009. "Network and Border Effects: Where Do Foreign Multinationals Locate in Germany?," IAW Discussion Papers 47, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Frederick Van der Ploeg & Steven Poelhekke, 2010.
"The Pungent Smell of "Red Herrings": Subsoil Assets, Rents, Volatility and the Resource Curse,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3013, CESifo Group Munich.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick & Poelhekke, Steven, 2010. "The pungent smell of "red herrings": Subsoil assets, rents, volatility and the resource curse," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 44-55, July.
- Frederick van der Ploeg & Steven Poelhekke, 2009. "The pungent smell of Red Herrings; Subsoil assets, rents, volatility and the resource curse," DNB Working Papers 233, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Rick van der Ploeg & Steven Poelhekke, 2010. "The Pungent Smell of 'Red Herrings': subsoil assets, rents, volatility and the resource curse," OxCarre Working Papers 033, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Michael Bruno & Jeffrey Sachs, 1982. "Input Price Shocks and the Slowdown in Economic Growth: The Case of U.K.Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 0851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susana Assunção & Aurora A. C. Teixeira & Rosa Forte, 2011. "Do Countries’ Endowments of Non-renewable Energy Resources Matter For FDI Attraction? A Cross-country Econometric Analysis," FEP Working Papers 430, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Gregory J. Brock, 1998. "Foreign direct investment in Russia's regions 1993-95. Why so little and where has it gone?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 6(2), pages 349-360, November.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies & Glen R. Waddell & Helen T. Naughton, 2004.
"FDI in Space: Spatial Autoregressive Relationships in Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
10939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Davies, Ronald B. & Waddell, Glen R. & Naughton, Helen T., 2007. "FDI in space: Spatial autoregressive relationships in foreign direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1303-1325, July.
- Hilber, Christian A. L. & Voicu, Ioan, 2007.
"Agglomeration Economies and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment: Empirical Evidence from Romania,"
5137, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Hilber & Ioan Voicu, 2010. "Agglomeration Economies and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment: Empirical Evidence from Romania," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 355-371.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004.
"Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 959-972, November.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2002. "Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 3455, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raffaello Bronzini, 2007. "FDI Inflows, Agglomeration and Host Country Firms' Size: Evidence from Italy," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(7), pages 963-978.
- Ivar Kolstad & Espen Villanger, 2004.
"Determinants of foreign direct investment in services,"
CMI Working Papers
WP 2004: 2, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Kolstad, Ivar & Villanger, Espen, 2008. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in services," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 518-533, June.
- Gustavo J. Bobonis & Howard J. Shatz, 2007. "Agglomeration, Adjustment, and State Policies in the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 30-43, February.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Thomas Halvorsen, 2012. "Size, Location and Agglomeration of Inward Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the United States," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(5), pages 669-682, June.
- V.N. Balasubramanyam, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment," Chapters, in: International Handbook of Development Economics, Volumes 1 & 2, chapter 39 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Ichiro Iwasaki & Keiko Suganuma, 2005. "Regional Distribution of Foreign Direct Investment in Russia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 153-172.
- Shatz, Howard J. & Venables, Anthony J., 2000. "The geography of international investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2338, The World Bank.
- Broadman, Harry G. & Recanatini, Francesca, 2001. "Where has all the foreign investment gone in Russia?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2640, The World Bank.
- Sergio Mariotti & Lucia Piscitello, 1995. "Information Costs and Location of FDIs within the Host Country: Empirical Evidence from Italy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(4), pages 815-841, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iwh:dispap:3-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tobias Henning)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.