Prekäre Einkommenslagen in Deutschland: Ein Ost-West-Vergleich 1996 bis 2002
The paper investigates the distribution of equivalence-weighted net household income for West and East Germany, covering the period from 1996 to 2002. The data set used is the annual cross section data set “Mikrozensus”. The main issues of the paper are twofold. First, we analyze standard measures of income distributions as well as measures of inequality. Second, we set up a Logit model to explain relative poorness in East and West Germany using Mikrozensus data to capture household characteristics. The main focus in this section deals with the question how different types of forms of living and the number of children will affect the risk of falling into precarious income situations. The results show that the risk of getting poor is higher for families with children as well as for single persons with children.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kleine Märkerstrasse 8, 06108 Halle (Saale)|
Phone: (0345) 7753-60
Fax: (0345) 7753-820
Web page: http://www.iwh-halle.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang Franz & Viktor Steiner, 2000.
"Wages in the East German Transition Process: Facts and Explanations,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 1(3), pages 241-269, 08.
- Franz, Wolfgang & Steiner, Viktor, 1999. "Wages in the East German transition process: facts and explanations," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-40, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Hauser, Richard & Fabig, Holger, 1999. "Labor Earnings and Household Income Mobility in Reunified Germany: A Comparison of the Eastern and Western States," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(3), pages 303-24, September.
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Van Kerm, Philippe, 2003.
"Trends in income inequality, pro-poor income growth and income mobility,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2003-27, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Stephen P. Jenkins & Philippe Van Kerm, 2006. "Trends in income inequality, pro-poor income growth, and income mobility," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 531-548, July.
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Van Kerm, Philippe, 2003. "Trends in Income Inequality, Pro-Poor Income Growth and Income Mobility," IZA Discussion Papers 904, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stephen P. Jenkins & Philippe VanKerm, 2003. "Trends in Income Inequality, Pro-Poor Income Growth and Income Mobility," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 377, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Van Kerm, Philippe, 2003. "Trends in income inequality, pro-poor income growth and income mobility," IRISS Working Paper Series 2003-11, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Miles Corak & Michael Fertig & Marcus Tamm, 2005.
"A Portrait of Child Poverty in Germany,"
inwopa05/29, Innocenti Working Papers.
- Corak, Miles & Fertig, Michael & Tamm, Marcus, 2005. "A Portrait of Child Poverty in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 1528, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Corak, Miles & Fertig, Michael & Tamm, Marcus, 2005. "A Portrait of Child Poverty in Germany," RWI Discussion Papers 26, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Anthony B. Atkinson, 2000. "The Changing Distribution of Income: Evidence and Explanations," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 1(1), pages 3-18, 02.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Markus M. Grabka, 2000. "Einkommensverteilung in Deutschland: stärkere Umverteilungseffekte in Ostdeutschland," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 67(19), pages 291-297.
- repec:zbw:rwidps:0026 is not listed on IDEAS
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Birgit Otto & Thomas Siedler, 2003. "Armut in West- und Ostdeutschland: ein differenzierter Vergleich," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(4), pages 61-66.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iwh:dispap:2-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tobias Henning)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.