Municipality Size and Efficiency of Local Public Services: Does Size Matter?
Similarly to western Germany in the 1960s and 1970s, the eastern part of Germany has experienced a still ongoing process of numerous amalgamations among counties, towns and municipalities since the mid-1990s. The evidence in the economic literature is mixed with regard to the claimed expenditure reductions and efficiency gains from municipal mergers. We therefore analyze the global efficiency of the municipalities in Saxony-Anhalt, for the first time in this context, using a double-bootstrap procedure combining DEA and truncated regression. This allows including environmental variables to control for exogenous determinants of municipal efficiency. Our focus thereby is on institutional and fiscal variables. Moreover, the scale efficiency is estimated to find out whether large units are necessary to benefit from scale economies. In contrast to previous studies, we chose the aggregate budget of municipal associations (“Verwaltungsgemeinschaften”) as the object of our analysis since important competences of the member municipalities are settled on a joint administrative level. Furthermore, we use a data set that has been carefully adjusted for bookkeeping items and transfers within the communal level. On the “eve” of a mayor municipal reform the majority of the municipalities were found to have an approximately scale-efficient size and centralized organizational forms (“Einheitsgemeinden”) showed no efficiency advantage over municipal associations.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0345) 7753-60
Fax: (0345) 7753-820
Web page: http://www.iwh-halle.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geys, Benny & Heinemann, Friedrich & Kalb, Alexander, 2010.
"Voter involvement, fiscal autonomy and public sector efficiency: Evidence from German municipalities,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 265-278, June.
- Geys, Benny & Heinemann, Friedrich & Kalb, Alexander, 2009.
"Voter involvement, fiscal autonomy and public sector efficiency: evidence from German municipalities
[Wähler-Beteiligung, Finanzhoheit und Effizienz des öffentlichen Sektors: Aussagen von deutschen," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2009-02, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Geys, Benny & Heinemann, Friedrich & Kalb, Alexander, 2008. "Voter Involvement, Fiscal Autonomy and Public Sector Efficiency: Evidence from German Municipalities," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-024, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Geys, Benny & Heinemann, Friedrich & Kalb, Alexander, 2009. "Voter involvement, fiscal autonomy and public sector efficiency: evidence from German municipalities
- Suzuki, S. & Nijkamp, P., 2008.
"A generalized goals-achievement model in data envelopment analysis : an application to efficiency improvement in local government finance in Japan,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0014, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Peter Nijkamp & Soushi Suzuki, 2009. "A Generalized Goals-achievement Model in Data Envelopment Analysis: an Application to Efficiency Improvement in Local Government Finance in Japan," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 249-274.
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models,"
Journal of Applied Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998. "A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Papers 9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Weingast, Barry R., 2009. "Second generation fiscal federalism: The implications of fiscal incentives," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 279-293, May.
- Heikki A. Loikkanen & Ilkka Susiluoto, 2005. "Cost Efficiency of Finnish Municipalities in Basic Service Provision 1994-2002," ERSA conference papers ersa05p37, European Regional Science Association.
- M. Teresa Balaguer-Coll & Diego Prior, 2009. "Short- and long-term evaluation of efficiency and quality. An application to Spanish municipalities," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(23), pages 2991-3002.
- Kristof DE WITTE & Benny GEYS, 2009. "The political economy of efficient public good provision: evidence from Flemish libraries using a generalised conditional efficiency framework," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces09.10, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Logan, J., 1985. "The relative performance of publicly-owned and privately-owned electric utilities," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 89-106, February.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004.
"Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 12.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
- J�nos Kornai & Eric Maskin & G�rard Roland, 2003. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1095-1136, December.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Liang, Che-Yuan, 2006.
"Merged Municipalities, Higher Debt: On Free-riding and the Common Pool Problem in Politics,"
Working Paper Series
2006:27, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Henrik Jordahl & Che-Yuan Liang, 2010. "Merged municipalities, higher debt: on free-riding and the common pool problem in politics," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 157-172, April.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Liang, Che-Yuan, 2006. "Merged Municipalities, Higher Debt: On Free-riding and the Common Pool Problem in Politics," Working Paper Series 679, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Jordahl, Henrik & Liang, Che-Yuan, 2006. "Merged Municipalities, Higher Debt: On Free-riding and the Common Pool Problem in Politics," Ratio Working Papers 107, The Ratio Institute.
- De Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 1996.
"Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA, and econometric approaches,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 145-170, April.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, Kristiaan, 1994. "Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA and econometric approaches," SESO Working Papers 1994002, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Christian von Hirschhausen & Astrid Cullmann & Andreas Kappeler, 2006.
"Efficiency analysis of German electricity distribution utilities - non-parametric and parametric tests,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(21), pages 2553-2566.
- von Hirschhausen, Christian R. & Cullmann, Astrid, 2005. "Efficiency Analysis of German Electricity Distribution Utilities : Non-Parametric and Parametric Tests," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 06/05, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 2003. "Centralized versus decentralized provision of local public goods: a political economy approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 2611-2637, December.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Angel Prieto & José ZofIo, 2001. "Evaluating Effectiveness in Public Provision of Infrastructure and Equipment: The Case of Spanish Municipalities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 41-58, January.
- Alexander Kalb & Benny Geys & Friedrich Heinemann, 2012. "Value for money? German local government efficiency in a comparative perspective," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(2), pages 201-218, January.
- Geys, Benny & Moesen, Wim, 2008.
"Exploring sources of local government technical inefficiency: evidence from Flemish municipalities
[Ursachenforschung zur technischen Ineffizienz kommunaler Verwaltungen: Evidenz von flämischen Gem," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2008-18, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Jos Blank & Vivian Valdmanis, 2010. "Environmental factors and productivity on Dutch hospitals: a semi-parametric approach," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-34, March.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Kalb, Alexander, 2009. "What determines local governments' technical efficiency? The case of road maintenance," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-047, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Emili Tortosa Ausina & Diego Prior & María Teresa Balaguer-Coll, 2004.
"On The Determinants Of Local Government Performance: A Two-Stage Nonparametric Approach,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2004-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Balaguer-Coll, Maria Teresa & Prior, Diego & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2007. "On the determinants of local government performance: A two-stage nonparametric approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 425-451, February.
- Rodden, Jonathan, 2003. "Reviving Leviathan: Fiscal Federalism and the Growth of Government," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 57(04), pages 695-729, September.
- Lars-Erik Borge & Marianne Haraldsvik, 2009. "Efficiency potential and determinants of efficiency: An analysis of the care of elderly sector in Norway," Working Paper Series 10109, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Victor M. Giménez & Diego Prior, 2007. "Long- and Short-Term Cost Efficiency Frontier Evaluation: Evidence from Spanish Local Governments," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 28(1), pages 121-139, 03.
- Geys, Benny & Heinemann, Friedrich & Kalb, Alexander, 2007. "Local Governments in the Wake of Demographic Change: Efficiency and Economies of Scale in German Municipalities," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-036, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Anna Montén & Christian Thater, 2011.
"Determinants of Efficiency in Child-Care Provision,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 67(4), pages 378-403, December.
- Anna Montén & Christian Thater, 2010. "Determinants of efficiency in child care provision," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper Nr. 83, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Wyckoff, Paul Gary, 1990. " The Simple Analytics of Slack-Maximizing Bureaucracy," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 67(1), pages 35-47, October.
- Conrad, Alexander & Neuberger, Doris & Trigo Gamarra, Lucinda, 2009. "The impact of regional and demographic factors on the efficiency of German savings banks," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 111, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Byrnes, Joel & Crase, Lin & Dollery, Brian & Villano, Renato, 2010. "The relative economic efficiency of urban water utilities in regional New South Wales and Victoria," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 439-455, August.
- Afonso, António & Fernandes, Sónia, 2008. "Assessing and explaining the relative efficiency of local government," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1946-1979, October.
- Matthias Walter & Astrid Cullmann, 2008. "Potential Gains from Mergers in Local Public Transport: An Efficiency Analysis Applied to Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 832, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Nakil Sung, 2007. "Information technology, efficiency and productivity: evidence from Korean local governments," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(13), pages 1691-1703.
- Isabel-María García-Sánchez, 2009. "Measuring the efficiency of local police force," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 59-77, February.
- Andrew Worthington & Brian Dollery, 2000. "Efficiency Measurement in the Local Public Sector: Econometric and Mathematical Programming Frontier Techniques," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 078, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iwh:dispap:18-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tobias Henning)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.