Short and long run determinants of brain drain : Evidence from Pakistan
This paper contributes to the literature by determining macroeconomic drivers of brain drain in case of Pakistan over the period of 1972-2012 using the ARDL bounds testing approach. Our findings show that economic growth and financial development have negative impact on brain drain. However, inflation, unemployment and trade openness aggravate brain drain. This study highlights macroeconomic insights for policy makers to control brain drain problem in Pakistan.
|Date of creation:||25 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1994.
"Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1310-29, December.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1992. "Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth," NBER Working Papers 4093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1992. "Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 688, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1992. "Risk-taking, global diversification, and growth," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 61, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Maurice Obstfeld., 1993. "Risk-Taking, Global Diversification, and Growth," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C93-016, University of California at Berkeley.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2012.
"Does trade openness affect long run growth? Cointegration, causality and forecast error variance decomposition tests for Pakistan,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2325-2339.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz, 2012. "Does Trade Openness Affect Long Run Growth? Cointegration, Causality and Forecast Error Variance Decomposition Tests for Pakistan," MPRA Paper 37391, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Mar 2012.
- Frederic Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2011.
"Globalization, brain drain and development,"
CReAM Discussion Paper Series
1108, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Frédéric Docquier & Hillel Rapoport, 2011. "Globalization, Brain Drain and Development," Working Papers 2011-18, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- Frédéric DOCQUIER & Hillel RAPOPORT, 2011. "Globalization, brain drain and development," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011009, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Docquier, Frédéric & Rapoport, Hillel, 2011. "Globalization, Brain Drain and Development," IZA Discussion Papers 5590, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard E. Baldwin & Rikard Forslid, 1996.
"Trade Liberalization and Endogenous Growth: A q-Theory Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
5549, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Forslid, Rikard, 2000. "Trade liberalisation and endogenous growth: A q-theory approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 497-517, April.
- Baldwin, Richard & Forslid, Rikard, 1996. "Trade Liberalization and Endogenous Growth: A q-Theory Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 1397, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berry, R Albert & Soligo, Ronald, 1969. "Some Welfare Aspects of International Migration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(5), pages 778-94, Sept./Oct.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2005. "The saving and investment nexus for China: evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(17), pages 1979-1990.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2014-113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.