Stock returns and Inflation in Pakistan
The nexus between stock return and inflation is assessed for Pakistan using the methodology of frequency based causality and continuous wavelet transform over a long sample period 1961:M07 - 2012:M02. The preliminary investigation using the frequency based causality suggests interdependence of stock return and inflation. Our deeper investigation using the tools of wavelet coherency and wavelet phase angle in the continuous wavelet transform framework, however, explore dependency between stock returns and inflation over certain time periods; especially for lower time scales. For higher time scales, the study finds stock returns and inflation to be in the phase (positively related) when consumers’ price inflation is considered and independent when producers’ price inflation is utilized. Overall results based on both the inflation measures indicate that, inflation does not erode the value of stocks in Pakistan and stocks could be used as hedge against inflation at least in the long-run.
|Date of creation:||25 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Durai, S. Raja Sethu & Bhaduri, Saumitra N., 2009. "Stock prices, inflation and output: Evidence from wavelet analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1089-1092, September.
- Park, Kwangwoo & Ratti, Ronald A, 2000. "Real Activity, Inflation, Stock Returns, and Monetary Policy," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 59-77, May.
- Boudoukh, Jacob & Richardson, Matthew, 1993. "Stock Returns and Inflation: A Long-Horizon Perspective," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1346-55, December.
- Engsted, Tom & Tanggaard, Carsten, 2002.
"The relation between asset returns and inflation at short and long horizons,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 101-118, April.
- Engsted, Tom & Tanggaard, Carsten, 2000. "The Relation Between Asset Returns and Inflation at Short and Long Horizons," Finance Working Papers 00-9, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Kim, Jae H. & Ryoo, Heajin H., 2011. "Common stocks as a hedge against inflation: Evidence from century-long US data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 168-171.
- Martin Feldstein, 1978.
"Inflation and the Stock Market,"
NBER Working Papers
0276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1980. "Inflation and the Stock Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 839-47, December.
- Martin Feldstein, 1983. "Inflation and the Stock Market," NBER Chapters, in: Inflation, Tax Rules, and Capital Formation, pages 186-198 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David P. Ely & Kenneth J. Robinson, 1989. "The stock market and inflation: a synthesis of the theory and evidence," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Mar, pages 17-29.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Ram, Rati & Spencer, David E, 1983. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 463-70, June.
- Martin Feldstein, 1983.
"Inflation, Tax Rules, and the Stock Market,"
in: Inflation, Tax Rules, and Capital Formation, pages 199-220
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asprem, Mads, 1989. "Stock prices, asset portfolios and macroeconomic variables in ten European countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 589-612, September.
- Lee, Bong-Soo, 1992. " Causal Relations among Stock Returns, Interest Rates, Real Activity, and Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1591-603, September.
- Geske, Robert & Roll, Richard, 1983. " The Fiscal and Monetary Linkage between Stock Returns and Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-65, September.
- Breitung, Jorg & Candelon, Bertrand, 2006. "Testing for short- and long-run causality: A frequency-domain approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 363-378, June.
- Niyati Bhanja & Arif Billah Dar & Aviral Kumar Tiwari & Olaolu Richard Olayeni, 2012. "Are Stock Prices Hedge Against Inflation? A Revisit over Time and Frequencies in India," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 4(3), pages 199-213, September.
- James, Christopher & Koreisha, Sergio & Partch, Megan, 1985. " A VARMA Analysis of the Causal Relations among Stock Returns, Real Output, and Nominal Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1375-84, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2014-108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.