What is the perception of corporate social responsibility for fund managers in Switzerland?
We study the link between the sustainable and social activities of a firm (known as Corporate Social Responsibility CSR) and its financial performance. We first review and analyze the existing research on the topic, followed by a qualitative study of this relationship consisting of interviews of fund managers in Switzerland. We find in the literature that a positive relationship is perceived between the commitment to CSR of companies and their performance, but overall scientific evidence is still lacking, as positive results are only achieved in some specific contexts. On the other hand, it appears from our interview that investors may not expect a higher performance when investing in high CSR firms, but a neutral relationship. In other words, they want the proof that engaging in CSR is not detrimental to the performance of the firm. In that case, they are willing to invest preferably in companies that create the most value in non-financial objectives. Another important result is that investors cannot asses the CSR the firm precisely due to a lack of recent and relevant information on companies' CSR activities. The need to do their own research for CSR evaluation could be a barrier for sustainable investment, as investors would spend extra time to ensure of a firm sustainability for a neutral impact on their portfolios gain.
|Length:||Number of pages pages|
|Date of creation:||02 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cohen, Boyd & Winn, Monika I., 2007. "Market imperfections, opportunity and sustainable entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 29-49, January.
- Kempf, Alexander & Osthoff, Peer, 2007. "The effect of socially responsible investing on portfolio performance," CFR Working Papers 06-10, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2001.
"Corporate Governance and Equity Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
8449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cormier, Denis & Magnan, Michel, 2007. "The revisited contribution of environmental reporting to investors' valuation of a firm's earnings: An international perspective," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3-4), pages 613-626, May.
- Webley, Paul & Lewis, Alan & Mackenzie, Craig, 2001. "Commitment among ethical investors: An experimental approach," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 27-42, February.
- Shameek Konar & Mark A. Cohen, 2001. "Does The Market Value Environmental Performance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 281-289, May.
- Andreas Ziegler & Michael Schröder & Klaus Rennings, 2008.
"The Effect of Environmental and Social Performance on the Stock Performance of European Corporations,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(4), pages 609-609, August.
- Andreas Ziegler & Michael Schröder & Klaus Rennings, 2007. "The effect of environmental and social performance on the stock performance of european corporations," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(4), pages 661-680, August.
- Jean Tirole & Roland Bénabou, 2006.
"Incentives and Prosocial Behavior,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(5), pages 1652-1678, December.
- Bénabou, Roland & Tirole, Jean, 2004. "Incentives and Prosocial Behaviour," CEPR Discussion Papers 4633, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Benabou, Roland & Tirole, Jean, 2005. "Incentives and Prosocial Behavior," IZA Discussion Papers 1695, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roland Bénabou & Jean Tirole, 2006. "Incentives and Prosocial Behavior," Post-Print hal-00173700, HAL.
- Bénabou, Roland & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Incentives and Prosocial Behavior," IDEI Working Papers 389, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Jan 2006.
- Roland Bénabou & Jean Tirole, 2004. "Incentives and Prosocial Behavior," Working Papers 137, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Discussion Papers in Economics..
- Roland Bénabou & Jean Tirole, 2005. "Incentives and Prosocial Behavior," NBER Working Papers 11535, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Kempf & Peer Osthoff, 2007. "The Effect of Socially Responsible Investing on Portfolio Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(5), pages 908-922.
- Olivier Boiral, 2010. "Peut-on mesurer les performances de développement durable?," CIRANO Working Papers 2010s-11, CIRANO.
- Jeroen Derwall & Kees Koedijk, 2009. "Socially Responsible Fixed-Income Funds," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1-2), pages 210-229.
- Urs von Arx & Andreas Ziegler, 2008. "The Effect of CSR on Stock Performance: New Evidence for the USA and Europe," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 08/85, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Constantin Belu, 2009. "Ranking corporations based on sustainable and socially responsible practices. A data envelopment analysis (DEA) approach," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(4), pages 257-268.
- Robert G. Eccles & Ioannis Ioannou & George Serafeim, 2012. "The Impact of Corporate Sustainability on Organizational Processes and Performance," NBER Working Papers 17950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Venkiteswaran N, . "Corporate Governance for Shareholder Value," IIMA Working Papers WP2000-07-01, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Zakri Y. Bello, 2005. "Socially Responsible Investing And Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 41-57.
- John E. Core & Wayne R. Guay & Tjomme O. Rusticus, 2006. "Does Weak Governance Cause Weak Stock Returns? An Examination of Firm Operating Performance and Investors' Expectations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 655-687, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2014-097. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.