Innovation decision of Tunisian service firms: an empirical analysis
Innovation is widely recognized as a key driver of economic growth and competitiveness. Previous works dealing with it has specially focused on its effect on the economic performance of innovators. In this context, the literature distinguishes between four kinds of innovation: product, process, radical and incremental. Indeed, despite their importance, the innovation determinants and the innovation making-decision are less studied. Based on a sample of 108 Tunisian service firms, the purpose of this paper is to find out the way by which firms make their decision to innovate: simultaneously (one-stage model) or sequentially (twostage model). We obtain that the two-stage model has a statistically significant advantage in predicting innovation. In practice, we argue that the sequential model illustrates well the innovation making-decision procedures.
|Date of creation:||12 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang Becker & Juergen Dietz, 2002.
"R&D Cooperation and Innovation Activities of Firms - Evidence for the German Manufacturing Industry -,"
Discussion Paper Series
222, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Becker, Wolfgang & Dietz, Jurgen, 2004. "R&D cooperation and innovation activities of firms--evidence for the German manufacturing industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 209-223, March.
- Gallouj, Faiz & Weinstein, Olivier, 1997. "Innovation in services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 537-556, December.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level,"
98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521037136 is not listed on IDEAS
- Emmanuel Duguet, 2006.
"Innovation height, spillovers and tfp growth at the firm level: Evidence from French manufacturing,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 415-442.
- DUGUET Emmanuel, 2004. "Innovation height, spillovers and TFP growth at the firm level: Evidence from French manufacturing," Development and Comp Systems 0411017, EconWPA.
- Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista & Maria Savona, 2006. "Innovation and economic performance in services: a firm-level analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 435-458, May.
- Lööf, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2001.
"On the Relationship between Innovation and Performance: A sensitivity Analysis,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
0446, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2001.
- Hans Loof & Almas Heshmati, 2006. "On the relationship between innovation and performance: A sensitivity analysis," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 317-344.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521810869 is not listed on IDEAS
- Petr Hanel, 2004. "Innovation in the Canadian Service Sector," Cahiers de recherche 04-03, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Pierre Mohnen & Pierre Therrien, 2005. "Comparing the Innovation Performance in Canadian, French and German Manufacturing Enterprises," CIRANO Working Papers 2005s-33, CIRANO.
- repec:fth:inseep:9833 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sirilli, Giorgio & Evangelista, Rinaldo, 1998. "Technological innovation in services and manufacturing: results from Italian surveys," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 881-899, December.
- Crepon, B. & Duguet, E. & Mairesse, J., 1998. "Research Investment, Innovation and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 98.15, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Firm Size and the Nature of Innovation within Industries: The Case of Process and Product R&D," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 232-43, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2014-092. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.