Technical Efficiency of Takaful Industry- A Comparative Study of Malaysia and GCC Countries
The present study empirically investigates the technical efficiency of takaful industry operations in Malaysia and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries. Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) was employed to estimate the technical efficiency of using Constant Returns to Scale (CRS) and Variable Return to Scale (VRS) during the period 2006- 2009. The study reveals that takaful companies operating in GCC countries are more efficient than Malaysian operators that are encouraged to have aggressive marketing and wider distribution channels to capture more demand.
|Date of creation:||06 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cummins, J. David & Weiss, Mary A. & Xie, Xiaoying & Zi, Hongmin, 2010. "Economies of scope in financial services: A DEA efficiency analysis of the US insurance industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1525-1539, July.
- Patrick L. Brockett & William W. Cooper & Linda L. Golden & John J. Rousseau & Yuying Wang, 2005. "Financial Intermediary Versus Production Approach to Efficiency of Marketing Distribution Systems and Organizational Structure of Insurance Companies," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(3), pages 393-412.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Nektarios, Milton & Assaf, A., 2010. "Efficiency in the Greek insurance industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(2), pages 431-436, September.
- Fecher, F. & Kessler, D. & Perelman, S. & Pestieau, P., .
"Productive performance of the French insurance industry,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- F. Fecher & D. Kessler & S. Perelman & P. Pestieau, 1993. "Productive performance of the French insurance industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 77-93, June.
- Fecher, F. & Kessler, D. & Perelman, S. & Pestieau, P., 1991. "Productive performance of the french insurance industry," CORE Discussion Papers 1991025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Attiea Marie & Ananth Rao & Hossein Kashani, 2009. "Cost efficiency and value driver analysis of insurers in an emerging economy," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(4), pages 265-280.
- J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss & Hongmin Zi, 1999. "Organizational Form and Efficiency: The Coexistence of Stock and Mutual Property-Liability Insurers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(9), pages 1254-1269, September.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Cummins, J. David & Klumpes, Paul J.M., 2010. "Performance measurement in the financial services sector: Frontier efficiency methodologies and other innovative techniques," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1413-1416, July.
- Hao, James C.J. & Chou, Lin-Yhi, 2005. "The estimation of efficiency for life insurance industry: The case in Taiwan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 847-860, October.
- J. A. Bikker & M. van Leuvensteijn, 2008. "Competition and efficiency in the Dutch life insurance industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(16), pages 2063-2084.
- Cummins, J. David & Rubio-Misas, Maria, 2006. "Deregulation, Consolidation, and Efficiency: Evidence from the Spanish Insurance Industry," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(2), pages 323-355, March.
- Martin Eling & Michael Luhnen, 2010. "Frontier Efficiency Methodologies to Measure Performance in the Insurance Industry: Overview, Systematization, and Recent Developments," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 217-265, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2014-055. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.