Causal Linkages between Financial Development, Trade Openness and Economic Growth: Fresh Evidence from Innovative Accounting Approach in Case of Bangladesh
This paper contributes to the literature by exploring the relationship between financial development, economic growth and trade openness in case of Bangladesh over the period 1975Q1-2011Q4. The ARDL bounds testing approach to cointegtaion and the innovative accounting approach for causality are used. Our results show that financial developpemnt, trade openness and economic growth are likned over the long-run. We find evidence in favor of the supply-side hypothesis while financial development and economic growth cause exports. Economic growth causes imports and feedback effect exists between trade openness and economic growth.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rahman, Mohammad Mafizur & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2011.
"Do Imports and Foreign Capital Inflows Lead Economic Growth? Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Pakistan,"
29805, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 Mar 2011.
- Mohammad Mafizur Rahman & Muhammad Shahbaz, 2013. "Do Imports and Foreign Capital Inflows Lead Economic Growth? Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Pakistan," South Asia Economic Journal, Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka, vol. 14(1), pages 59-81, March.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2001.
"Financial development and international trade : is there a link?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2608, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2002. "Financial development and international trade: Is there a link?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 107-131, June.
- Qazi Muhammad Adnan Hye & Faridul Islam, 2013. "Does financial development hamper economic growth: empirical evidence from Bangladesh," Journal of Business Economics and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 558-582, June.
- Jordan Shan, 2005. "Does financial development 'lead' economic growth? A vector auto-regression appraisal," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(12), pages 1353-1367.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz, 2012.
"Does Trade Openness Affect Long Run Growth? Cointegration, Causality and Forecast Error Variance Decomposition Tests for Pakistan,"
37391, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Mar 2012.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2012. "Does trade openness affect long run growth? Cointegration, causality and forecast error variance decomposition tests for Pakistan," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2325-2339.
- Mansor H. Ibrahim, 2005. "Sectoral Effects of Monetary Policy: Evidence from Malaysia," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 83-102, 03.
- Paul, Biru Paksha & Uddin, Gazi Salah, 2011. "Energy and output dynamics in Bangladesh," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 480-487, May.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Khan, Saleheen & Tahir, Mohammad Iqbal, 2013.
"The dynamic links between energy consumption, economic growth, financial development and trade in China: Fresh evidence from multivariate framework analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 8-21.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Saleheen, Khan & Mohammad, Iqbal Tahir, 2012. "The Dynamic Link between Energy Consumption, Economic Growth, Financial Development and Trade in China: Fresh Evidence from Multivariate Framework Analysis," MPRA Paper 42974, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Nov 2012.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Hye, Qazi Muhammad Adnan & Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Leitão, Nuno Carlos, 2013.
"Economic growth, energy consumption, financial development, international trade and CO2 emissions in Indonesia,"
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,
Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 109-121.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Qazi Muhammad, Adnan Hye & Aviral Kumar, Tiwari, 2012. "Economic Growth, Energy Consumption, Financial Development, International Trade and CO2 Emissions in Indonesia," MPRA Paper 43294, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Dec 2012.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Qazi Muhammad Adnan, Hye & Aviral Kumar, Tiwari, 2013. "Economic Growth, Energy Consumption, Financial Development, International Trade and CO2 Emissions, in Indonesia," MPRA Paper 43272, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Dec 2012.
- Samia Nasreen, 2011. "Export-Growth Linkages In Selected Asian Developing Countries: Evidence From Panel Data Analysis," Asian Journal of Empirical Research, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 1(1), pages 1-13, September.
- Subrata Ghatak & Chris Milner & Utku Utkulu, 1997. "Exports, export composition and growth : cointegration and causality evidence for Malaysia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 213-223.
- Rajan, Raghuram G. & Zingales, Luigi, 2003. "The great reversals: the politics of financial development in the twentieth century," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 5-50, July.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Pervaz Azim & Khalil Ahmad, 2011.
"Exports-Led Growth Hypothesis in Pakistan: Further Evidence,"
Asian Economic and Financial Review,
Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 1(3), pages 182-197, September.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Pervaz, Azeem & Ahmad, Khalil, 2011. "Exports-led growth hypothesis in Pakistan: further evidence," MPRA Paper 33617, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 18 Sep 2011.
- Yongfu Huang & Jonathan Temple, 2005.
"Does external trade promote financial development?,"
Bristol Economics Discussion Papers
05/575, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Huang, Yongfu & Temple, Jonathan, 2005. "Does External Trade Promote Financial Development?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5150, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & mohammad, Mafizur Rahman, 2011.
"The dynamic of financial development, imports, foreign direct investment and economic growth: cointegration and causality analysis in Pakistan,"
32181, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Jul 2011.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Mohammad Mafizur Rahman, 2012. "The Dynamic of Financial Development, Imports, Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Pakistan," Global Business Review, International Management Institute, vol. 13(2), pages 201-219, June.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Panicos O. Demetriades & Siong Hook Law, 2008.
"Financial Development and Openness: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
107, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Demetriades, Panicos O. & Law, Siong Hook, 2009. "Financial development and openness: Evidence from panel data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 285-296, July.
- Christopher F. Baum, 2003.
"A review of Stata 8.1 and its time series capabilities,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
581, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Baum, Christopher F., 2004. "A review of Stata 8.1 and its time series capabilities," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 151-161.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Maharouf Oyolola, 2007. "Export growth and output growth: An application of bounds testing approach," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 1-11, March.
- K. A. Al Mamun & H. K. Nath, 2005. "Export-led growth in Bangladesh: a time series analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(6), pages 361-364.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2013-037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.