Is small better? A comparison of the effect of large and small dams on cropland productivity in South Africa
We estimate and compare the effects of small and large irrigation dams on cropland productivity in South Africa (SA). To this end we construct a panel data set of SA river basins. The econometric analysis reveals that while large dams increase cropland productivity downstream, they have a negative effect on cropland within the vicinity. However, their existence can enhance the relatively small positive impact of local small dams. While a cost-benefit analysis of irrigation benefits does indeed show that small dams per se may be more viable than large ones, large dams can play a potentially important role within a system of both types.
|Date of creation:||10 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:iwt:bosers:h026190 is not listed on IDEAS
- Keller, A. & Sakthivadivel, R. & Seckler, D., 2000. "Water scarcity and the role of storage in development," IWMI Research Reports H026190, International Water Management Institute.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Vivien Foster & Cecilia Briceno-Garmendia, 2010. "Africa's Infrastructure : A Time for Transformation," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2692.
- Driscoll, John C., 2004.
"Does bank lending affect output? Evidence from the U.S. states,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 451-471, April.
- John C. Driscoll, 2003. "Does bank lending affect output? evidence from the U.S. states," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-31, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Elodie Blanc & Eric Strobl, 2013. "The impact of climate change on cropland productivity: evidence from satellite based products at the river basin scale in Africa," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 117(4), pages 873-890, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2013-010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.