Monetary Policies for an MDG-Related Scaling up of ODA to Combat HIV/AIDS:Avoiding Dutch Disease Versus Supporting Fiscal Expansion
This Conference Paper by Matias Vernengo was presented at the ?Global Conference on Gearing Macroeconomic Policies to Reverse the HIV/AIDS Epidemic?, jointly organized by UNDP?s HIV/AIDS Group and IPC and held in Brasilia, November 2006. It is part of an IPC-supported Research Programme on ?Macroeconomic Policies to Combat HIV/AIDS?. The paper maintains that the monetary policies best suited to manage the macroeconomic effects of an MDG-related scaling up of HIV/AIDS financing are those that support the needed expansion of public spending - namely, monetary policies that maintain low rates of interest, increase overall liquidity in the economy and try to achieve a relatively depreciated currency.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by UNDP - International Poverty Centre, March 2007, pages 1-22|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ipc-undp.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Minoiu, Camelia & Reddy, Sanjay G., 2010.
"Development aid and economic growth: A positive long-run relation,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 27-39, February.
- Sanjay Reddy & Camelia Minoiu, 2009. "Development Aid and Economic Growth: A Positive Long-Run Relation," IMF Working Papers 09/118, International Monetary Fund.
- Sanjay G. Reddy & Camelia Minoiu, 2006. "Development Aid and Economic Growth: A Positive Long-Run Relation," Working Papers 29, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Michael A. Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil Bhavnani, 2004.
"Counting chickens when they hatch: The short-term effect of aid on growth,"
- Michael Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil Bhavnani, 2004. "Counting Chickens When They Hatch: The Short-term Effect of Aid on Growth," Working Papers 44, Center for Global Development.
- Arvind Subramanian & Raghuram Rajan, 2005.
"What Undermines Aidâ€™s Impact on Growth?,"
IMF Working Papers
05/126, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Bruno & William Easterly, 1995.
"Inflation Crises and Long-Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Frenkel & Lance Taylor, 2006. "Real Exchange Rate, Monetary Policy and Employment," Working Papers 19, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Alessandro Prati & Thierry Tressel, 2006. "What is the Most Effective Monetary Policy for Aid-Receiving Countries?," Working Papers 12, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- William Easterly & Ross Levine & David Roodman, 2003. "New Data, New Doubts: Revisiting "Aid, Policies, and Growth"," Working Papers 26, Center for Global Development.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Pritchett, Lant & Rodrik, Dani, 2004.
CEPR Discussion Papers
4538, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Lant Pritchett & Dani Rodrik, 2004. "Growth Accelerations," NBER Working Papers 10566, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Pritchett, Lant & Rodrik, Dani, 2004. "Growth Accelerations," Working Paper Series rwp04-030, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Markus Haacker & N. F. R. Crafts, 2003. "Welfare Implications of HIV/AIDS," IMF Working Papers 03/118, International Monetary Fund.
- Burnside, Craig & Dollar, David, 1997.
"Aid, policies, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1777, The World Bank.
- Boone, Peter, 1996. "Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 289-329, February.
- Matias Vernengo, 2005. "Money and Inflation: A Taxonomy," Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah 2005_14, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2005. "What Undermines Aid's Impact on Growth?," NBER Working Papers 11657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipc:cpaper:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andre Lyra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.