Backtesting Portfolio Value-at-Risk with Estimated Portfolio Weights
This paper theoretically and empirically analyzes backtesting portfolio VaR with estimation risk in an intrinsically multivariate framework. For the first time in the literature, it takes into account the estimation of portfolio weights in forecasting portfolio VaR and its impact on backtesting. It shows that the estimation risk from estimating the portfolio weights as well as that from estimating the multivariate dynamic model of asset returns make the existing methods in a univariate framework inapplicable. And it proposes a general theory to quantify estimation risk applicable to the present problem and suggests practitioners a simple but effective way to carry out valid inference to overcome the effect of estimation risk in backtesting portfolio VaR. A simulation exercise illustrates our theoretical findings. In application, a portfolio of three stocks is considered.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iub.edu/~caepr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rombouts, J.V.K. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 2009.
"Evaluating Portfolio Value-At-Risk Using Semi-Parametric GARCH Models,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2004-107-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Jeroen Rombouts & Marno Verbeek, 2009. "Evaluating portfolio Value-at-Risk using semi-parametric GARCH models," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(6), pages 737-745.
- Marno Verbeek & Jeroen VK Rombouts, 2005. "Evaluating Portfolio Value-at-Risk using Semi-Parametric GARCH Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 40, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jeroen V.K. Rombouts & Marno Verbeek, 2004. "Evaluating Portfolio Value-at-Risk using Semi-Parametric GARCH Models," Cahiers de recherche 04-14, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, SÃ©bastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, SÃ©bastien, 2002.
"A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to GARCH models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2002020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Sébastien Laurent, 2002. "A New Class of Multivariate skew Densities, with Application to GARCH Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 5, Society for Computational Economics.
- Diebold, Francis X & Nerlove, Marc, 1989.
"The Dynamics of Exchange Rate Volatility: A Multivariate Latent Factor Arch Model,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, Jan.-Mar..
- Francis X. Diebold & Marc Nerlove, 1986. "The dynamics of exchange rate volatility: a multivariate latent factor ARCH model," Special Studies Papers 205, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sentana,E., 1995.
"Quadratic Arch Models,"
9517, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007.
"Multivariate GARCH models,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
669, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Jan 2008.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Sentana, Enrique, 1992. "Unobserved component time series models with Arch disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 129-157.
- Mc Cracken, Michael W., 2000. "Robust out-of-sample inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 195-223, December.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, SÃ©bastien, 2001.
"Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Giot & Sébastien Laurent, 2003. "Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(6), pages 641-663.
- Pierre Giot and S»bastien Laurent, 2001. "Value-At-Risk For Long And Short Trading Positions," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 94, Society for Computational Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inu:caeprp:2010-010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.