Farmland rental rate and marginal return to land: A french FADN perspective
The paper examines the relationship between the cash rent and the shadow value of farmland to understand the French farmland market. The empirical analysis is restricted to French main grain crops, namely wheat, oil crops and other grain crops. The sample is an unbalanced panel of 35,089 observations, that includes 6,089 crop farms which are observed about 5 years each, during the period 1990 -2007. The shadow values of all quasi-fixed assets have been derived from a restricted variable profit function. The profit function was successively estimated and tested by three estimation strategies: pooled OLS, one-way fixed effect and random panel model. However, concluding remarks are based on the results of the fixed effect model because of its statistical significance. The result indicates that the shadow prices of land and labour were persistently diverging from there observed price. The average shadow value of farmland was estimated about 550â‚¬/ha/year which is five times higher than the average rental price of 112â‚¬/ha/year over the studied period. Implication for the behaviours of French farmland market has been drawn from this analysis.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.international.inra.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lau, Lawrence J & Yotopoulos, Pan A, 1971. "A Test for Relative Efficiency and Application to Indian Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 94-109, March.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Maligaya, Arlyn R. & White, Fred C., 1989. "Agricultural Output Supply And Input Demand Relationships With Endogenous Land Rents," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Alfons Weersink & Steve Clark & Calum G. Turvey & Rakhal Sarker, 1999. "The Effect of Agricultural Policy on Farmland Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(3), pages 425-439.
- Lloyd, T A & Rayner, A J & Orme, C D, 1991. "Present-Value Models of Land Prices in England and Wales," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 18(2), pages 141-66.
- Andrew J. Plantinga & Douglas J. Miller, 2001. "Agricultural Land Values and the Value of Rights to Future Land Development," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(1), pages 56-67.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Erickson, Kenneth W. & Moss, Charles B., 2001.
"Valuing Farmland With Multiple Quasifixed Inputs,"
Proceedings: 2001 Regional Committee NC-221, October 1-2, 2001, McLean, Virginia
132397, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Miranowski, John, 1993. "Understanding Farmland Price Changes," Staff General Research Papers 10696, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Alban Thomas, 1999. "A Dynamic Analysis of Land Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 772-784.
- Kotakou, Christina A., 2011. "Panel Data Estimation Methods on Supply and Demand Elasticities: The Case of Cotton in Greece," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 43(01), February.
- Gao, Zhifeng & Featherstone, Allen M., 2008. "Estimating economies of scope using the profit function: A dual approach for the normalized quadratic profit function," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 418-421, September.
- Luciano Gutierrez & Joakim Westerlund & Kenneth Erickson, 2007. "Farmland prices, structural breaks and panel data," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(2), pages 161-179, June.
- Falk, Barry L., 1991. "Formally Testing the Present Value Model of Farmland Prices," Staff General Research Papers 11093, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inr:wpaper:221264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Administrateur de ProdInra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.