Aid in times of terror
In a scenario where terrorist organizations, based in an LDC, target a rich nation, we examine a joint, multi-pronged and dynamic counter-terror strategy and the role that developmental aid plays in its success. We show that aid-tying leads to a fruitful virtuous cycle whereby joint counter-terror operations help in the observability of aid delivery, and aid in its turn makes greater counter-terror possible. Further, the counter-terror operations must be the largest possible at the very beginning. We argue that it is not necessarily the case that a more hawkish donor is less pro-development, or that a more altruistic donor is softer on terror. Moreover, we identify channels through which international diplomacy aimed at reducing regional hostility can help in the war against terror.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7, S. J. S. Sansanwal Marg, New Delhi - 110016|
Web page: http://www.isid.ac.in/~pu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pande, Rohini, 2008.
"Understanding Political Corruption in Low Income Countries,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
- Pande, Rohini, 2007. "Understanding Political Corruption in Low Income Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 6273, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pande, Rohini, 2007. "Understanding Political Corruption in Low Income Countries," Working Paper Series rwp07-020, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rohini Pande, 2007. "Understanding Political Corruption in Low Income Countries," CID Working Papers 145, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- van de Walle, Dominique & Mu, Ren, 2007. "Fungibility and the flypaper effect of project aid: Micro-evidence for Vietnam," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 667-685, November.
- van de Walle, Dominique & Ren Mu, 2007. "Fungibility and the flypaper effect of project aid : micro-evidence for Vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4133, The World Bank.
- Mirza, Daniel & Verdier, Thierry, 2006. "International trade, security, and transnational terrorism : theory and empirics," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4093, The World Bank.
- Mirza, Daniel & Verdier, Thierry, 2007. "International Trade, Security and Transnational Terrorism: Theory and Empirics," CEPR Discussion Papers 6174, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jody Overland & Kenneth Simons & Michael Spagat, 2005. "Political instability and growth in dictatorships," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 125(3), pages 445-470, December.
- Jody Overland & Kenneth L. Simons & Michael Spagat, 2000. "Political Instability and Growth in Dictatorships," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 354, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Overland, Jody & Simons, Kenneth L & Spagat, Michael, 2000. "Political Instability and Growth in Dictatorships," CEPR Discussion Papers 2653, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jody Overland, Kenneth Simons and Michael Spagat, 2003. "Political Instability and Growth in Dictatorships," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 03/11, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Dec 2003.
- Satya P. Das & Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2014. "Deterrence, Preemption, And Panic: A Common-Enemy Problem Of Terrorism," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 52(1), pages 219-238, 01.
- Das, Satya P. & Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2008. "Deterrence, Preemption and Panic: A Common-Enemy Problem of Terrorism," MPRA Paper 8223, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Satya P. Das & Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2008. "Deterrence, preemption and panic: A Common-enemy problem of terrorism," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-04, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Sandler, Todd & Enders, Walter, 2004. "An economic perspective on transnational terrorism," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 301-316, June.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Todd Sandler & Javed Younas, 2011. "Foreign aid as counterterrorism policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(3), pages 423-447, July.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Todd Sandler & Javed Younas, 2009. "Foreign aid as counterterrorism policy," Working Papers 2009-021, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- David Locke Newhouse & Prachi Mishra, 2007. "Health Aid and Infant Mortality," IMF Working Papers 07/100, International Monetary Fund.
- World Bank, 2004. "Strategic Framework for Assistance to Africa : IDA and the Emerging Partnership Model," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15179.
- C. S. Adam & S. A. O'Connell, 1999. "Aid, Taxation and Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 225-253, November.
- Sajal Lahiri & Pascalis Raimondos-Møller, 2004. "Donor Strategy under the Fungibility of Foreign Aid," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 213-231, 07.
- Azam, Jean-Paul & Thelen, Véronique, 2009. "Foreign Aid vs. Military Intervention in the War on Terror," TSE Working Papers 09-061, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:isipdp:11-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.