Separability and aggregation of equivalence relations
We provide axiomatic characterizations of two natural families of rules for aggregating equivalence relations: the family of join aggregators and the family of meet aggregators. The central conditions in these characterizations are two separability axioms. Disjunctive separability, neutrality, and unanimity characterize the family of join aggregators. On the other hand, conjunctive separability and unanimity characterize the family of meet aggregators. We show another characterization of the family of meet aggregators using conjunctive separability and two Pareto axioms, Pareto+ and Pareto-. If we drop Pareto-, then conjunctive separability and Pareto+ characterize the family of meet aggregators along with a trivial aggregator
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7, S. J. S. Sansanwal Marg, New Delhi - 110016|
Web page: http://www.isid.ac.in/~pu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Schmeidler, 2000.
"Between LIberalism and Democracy,"
00-08, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Murat Çengelci & M. Sanver, 2010. "Simple Collective Identity Functions," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 68(4), pages 417-443, April.
- Peter Fishburn & Ariel Rubinstein, 1986. "Aggregation of equivalence relations," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 3(1), pages 61-65, March.
- J. Barthélemy, 1988. "Comments on “aggregation of equivalence relations” by P. C. Fishburn and A. Rubinstein," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 5(1), pages 85-87, March.
- Dinko Dimitrov & Clemens Puppe, 2009.
"Non-bossy Social Classification,"
2009.101, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- John Geanakoplos, 2005. "Three brief proofs of Arrow’s Impossibility Theorem," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 26(1), pages 211-215, 07.
- Leclerc, B., 1984. "Efficient and binary consensus functions on transitively valued relations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 45-61, August.
- Dimitrov, Dinko & Sung, Shao Chin & Xu, Yongsheng, 2007.
"Procedural group identification,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 137-146, September.
- Dimitrov, D.A. & Sung, S.C. & Xu, Y., 2003. "Procedural Group Identification," Discussion Paper 2003-10, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dimitrov, Dinko & Sung, Shao Chin & Xu, Yongsheng, 2011. "Procedural group identification," Center for Mathematical Economics Working Papers 383, Center for Mathematical Economics, Bielefeld University.
- Dean Neumann & Victor Norton, 1986. "Clustering and isolation in the consensus problem for partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 3(2), pages 281-297, September.
- Jean-Pierre Barthélemy & Bruno Leclerc & Bernard Monjardet, 1986. "On the use of ordered sets in problems of comparison and consensus of classifications," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 3(2), pages 187-224, September.
- Nicolas, Houy, 2007. ""I want to be a J!": Liberalism in group identification problems," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 59-70, July.
- Miller, Alan D., 2008. "Group identification," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 188-202, May.
- Hart, Sergiu & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989. "Potential, Value, and Consistency," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 589-614, May.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Fishburn, Peter C., 1986. "Algebraic aggregation theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 63-77, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:isipdp:09-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.