Walk or wait?: An empirical analysis of street crossing decisions
We examine the behaviour of pedestrians wishing to cross a stream of trasffic at signalized intersections. We model each padestrian as making a desccrete crossing choice by comparing the gaps between vehicles in traffic to an individual-specific "critical gap" that characterizes the individual's minimal acceptable gap. We propose both parametric and nonparametric approaches to estimate the distribution of critical gaps in the population of pedestrians. To estimate the model, we gather field data on crossing decisions and vehicle flows at three intersections in New Delhi. The estimates provide information about heterogeneity in critical gaps across pedestrians and intersections and permits simulation of the effect of changes in traffic light sequence (flows)on pedestran crossing behavior and waiting times.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.isid.ac.in/~pu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daganzo, Carlos F., 1981. "Estimation of gap acceptance parameters within and across the population from direct roadside observation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Mahmassani, Hani & Sheffi, Yosef, 1981. "Using gap sequences to estimate gap acceptance functions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 143-148, June.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:84:y:1970:i:1:p:113-26 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Walk or wait? An empirical analysis of street crossing decisions (JAE 2005) in ReplicationWiki
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:isipdp:03-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.