Liberating Supply-Fiscal Policy and Technological innovation in a Multicountry Model
This paper examines how endogenizing technological progress in a multicountry macroeconometric model affects the analysis of fiscal policies. It uses an expanded version of the IMF’s multicountry model, MULTIMOD, in which total factor productivity (TFP) is endogenized as a function of domestic research and development (R&D) expenditures, R&D expenditures of trading partners, and trade. Compared with the standard version of the model with exogenous TFP, fiscal policies have much larger and long-lived effects on the domestic economy and on other countries.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- Ford, Robert & Laxton, Douglas, 1999.
"World Public Debt and Real Interest Rates,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(2), pages 77-94, Summer.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Kortum, Samuel, 1996.
"Trade in ideas Patenting and productivity in the OECD,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 251-278, May.
- Eaton, J. & Kortum, S., 1995. "Trade in Ideas: Patenting and Productivity onn the OECD," Papers 34, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 1995. "Trade in Ideas: Patenting and Productivity in the OECD," NBER Working Papers 5049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel S. Kortum & Jonathan Eaton, 1995. "Trade in ideas: patenting and productivity in the OECD," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tamim Bayoumi & David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman, 1996.
"R&D Spillovers and Global Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5628, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bayoumi, T. & Coe, D.T. & Helpman, E., 1996. "R&D Spillovers and Global Growth," Papers 14-96, Tel Aviv.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and Global Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1467, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and Global Growth," IMF Working Papers 96/47, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521474009 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wolfgang Keller, 1996.
"Are International R&D Spillovers Trade-related? Analyzing Spillovers among Randomly Matched Trade Partners,"
- Keller, Wolfgang, 1998. "Are international R&D spillovers trade-related?: Analyzing spillovers among randomly matched trade partners," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1469-1481, September.
- Keller, W., 1996. "Are International R&D Spillovers Trade-Related? Analyzing Spillovers Among Randomly Matched Trade Partners," Working papers 9607, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1997. "Are International R&D Spillovers Trade-Related? Analyzing Spillovers Among Randomly Matched Trade Partners," NBER Working Papers 6065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "Overlapping families of infinitely-lived agents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 183-198, March.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1988. "Death, Birth, Productivity Growth and Debt Neutrality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 279-93, June.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Coe, D.T. & Helpman, E., 1993.
"International R&D Spillovers,"
5-93, Tel Aviv.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1993. "Innovations and Technological Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 4423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1988. "Productivity Puzzles and R&D: Another Nonexplanation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 9-21, Fall.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521479394 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pierre Mohnen, 1994. "The Econometric Approach to R&D Externalities," Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM 9408, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Nadiri, M.I., 1993. "Innovations and Technological Spillovers," Working Papers 93-31, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 1998.
"International R&D spillovers comment,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6233, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michel Juillard & Douglas Laxton, 1996. "A Robust and Efficient Method for Solving Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," IMF Working Papers 96/106, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:98/95. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.