International Vat Harmonization; Economic Effects
This paper highlights key macroeconomic issues related to VAT harmonization. A model is developed which emphasizes the effects of changes in the time profile of various taxes on international behavior. Dynamic simulations reveal that the macroeconomic and welfare implications of VAT harmonization, including conflicts of interest, depend critically on the tax system and the degree of substitution governing temporal and intertemporal allocations. We also demonstrate that the effects of revenue-neutral tax conversions between income and consumption tax systems undertaken by a single country depend critically on international differences in behavior.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buiter, Willem H., 1984.
"Fiscal Policy in Open, Interdependent Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
28, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Steve Symansky, 1990.
"International Spillovers of Taxation,"
in: Taxation in the Global Economy, pages 211-262
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Assaf Razin, 1988. "Budget Deficits under Alternative Tax Systems: International Effects," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 297-315, June.
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1989. "The effects of capital income taxation on international competitiveness and trade flows," Other publications TiSEM e64b6c96-399c-460f-9eff-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Frenkel, Jacob & Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1992.
"International taxation in an integrated world,"
23266, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991. "International Taxation in an Integrated World," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512149, June.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991. "International Taxation in an Integrated World," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061430, June.
- W. R. M. Perraudin & Thierry Pujol, 1990.
"European Fiscal Harmonization and the French Economy,"
IMF Working Papers
90/96, International Monetary Fund.
- W. R. M. Perraudin & T. Pujol, 1991. "European Fiscal Harmonization and the French Economy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(2), pages 399-440, June.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1986. "Fiscal Policies in the World Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 564-94, June.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1989.
"International Effects of Tax Reforms,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(395), pages 38-58, Supplemen.
- Bovenberg, A Lans, 1989. "The Effects of Capital Income Taxation on International Competitiveness and Trade Flows," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1045-64, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:91/22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.