International Vat Harmonization; Economic Effects
This paper highlights key macroeconomic issues related to VAT harmonization. A model is developed which emphasizes the effects of changes in the time profile of various taxes on international behavior. Dynamic simulations reveal that the macroeconomic and welfare implications of VAT harmonization, including conflicts of interest, depend critically on the tax system and the degree of substitution governing temporal and intertemporal allocations. We also demonstrate that the effects of revenue-neutral tax conversions between income and consumption tax systems undertaken by a single country depend critically on international differences in behavior.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 1991|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Steve Symansky, 1990.
"International Spillovers of Taxation,"
NBER Chapters,in: Taxation in the Global Economy, pages 211-262
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Steve Symansky, 1989. "International Spillovers of Taxation," NBER Working Papers 2927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991. "International Taxation in an Integrated World," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061430, December.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991. "International Taxation in an Integrated World," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512149, December.
- Frenkel, Jacob & Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1992. "International taxation in an integrated world," MPRA Paper 23266, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- W. R. M. Perraudin & T. Pujol, 1991. "European Fiscal Harmonization and the French Economy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(2), pages 399-440, June.
- W. R. M. Perraudin & Thierry Pujol, 1990. "European Fiscal Harmonization and the French Economy," IMF Working Papers 90/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Bovenberg, A Lans, 1989. "The Effects of Capital Income Taxation on International Competitiveness and Trade Flows," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1045-1064, December.
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1989. "The effects of capital income taxation on international competitiveness and trade flows," Other publications TiSEM e64b6c96-399c-460f-9eff-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985. "Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-247, April.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984. "Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons," NBER Working Papers 1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1984. "Fiscal policy in open, interdependent economies," NBER Working Papers 1429, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H., 1984. "Fiscal Policy in Open, Interdependent Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 28, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Assaf Razin, 1988. "Budget Deficits under Alternative Tax Systems: International Effects," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 297-315, June.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1986. "Fiscal Policies in the World Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 564-594, June.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1989. "International Effects of Tax Reforms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(395), pages 38-58, Supplemen.