Deflation and Public Finances; Evidence from the Historical Records
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2004.
"Deflation and Depression: Is There an Empirical Link?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 99-103, May.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2004. "Deflation and depression: is there an empirical link?," Staff Report 331, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick Kehoe, 2004. "Deflation and Depression: Is There and Empirical Link?," NBER Working Papers 10268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clinton, Kevin & Kumhof, Michael & Laxton, Douglas & Mursula, Susanna, 2011. "Deficit reduction: Short-term pain for long-term gain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 118-139, January.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013. "Inflation and Economic Growth," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Maurice Obstfeld, 2004. "Monetary and Fiscal Remedies for Deflation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 71-75, May.
- Michael D. Bordo & John Landon Lane & Angela Redish, 2004. "Good versus Bad Deflation: Lessons from the Gold Standard Era," NBER Working Papers 10329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reifschneider, David & Willams, John C, 2000. "Three Lessons for Monetary Policy in a Low-Inflation Era," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 936-966, November.
- Bernardin Akitoby & Takuji Komatsuzaki & Ariel J Binder, 2014. "Inflation and Public Debt Reversals in the G7 Countries," IMF Working Papers 14/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 2003.
"Escaping from a Liquidity Trap and Deflation: The Foolproof Way and Others,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 145-166, Fall.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 2003. "Escaping from a Liquidity Trap and Deflation: The Foolproof Way and Others," NBER Working Papers 10195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cochrane, John H., 2011.
"Understanding policy in the great recession: Some unpleasant fiscal arithmetic,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 2-30, January.
- John H. Cochrane, 2010. "Understanding Policy in the Great Recession: Some Unpleasant Fiscal Arithmetic," NBER Working Papers 16087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Bradford DeLong, 1999. "Should We Fear Deflation?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 30(1), pages 225-252.
- Michael Bordo & Andrew Filardo, 2005.
"Deflation and monetary policy in a historical perspective: remembering the past or being condemned to repeat it?,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(44), pages 799-844, October.
- Michael D. Bordo & Andrew Filardo, 2004. "Deflation and Monetary Policy in a Historical Perspective: Remembering the Past or Being Condemned to Repeat It?," NBER Working Papers 10833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- David E. Lebow & Jeremy B. Rudd, 2003. "Measurement Error in the Consumer Price Index: Where Do We Stand?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(1), pages 159-201, March.
- David L. Reifschneider & John C. Williams, 2000.
"Three lessons for monetary policy in a low-inflation era,"
Conference Series ; [Proceedings],
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, pages 936-978.
- David L. Reifschneider & John C. Williams, 1999. "Three lessons for monetary policy in a low inflation era," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (US).
- Borio, Claudio & Filardo, Andrew J., 2004. "Looking back at the international deflation record," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 287-311, December.
- Claudio Borio & Magdalena Erdem & Andrew Filardo & Boris Hofmann, 2015. "The costs of deflations: a historical perspective," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Fuhrer, Jeffrey C & Sniderman, Mark S, 2000. "Monetary Policy in a Low-Inflation Environment: Conference Summary," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 845-869, November.
- Michael D. Bordo & Angela Redish, 2003. "Is Deflation depressing? Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard," NBER Working Papers 9520, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ris:sphecs:0293 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cláudia Braz & João Amador & Lara Wemans & Maria Manuel Campos & Sharmin Sazedj, 2016. "Public debt sustainability:Methodologies and debates in European institutions," Working Papers o201601, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Juan Carlos Berganza & Pedro del Río & Fructuoso Borrallo, 2016. "Determinants and implications of low global inflation rates," Occasional Papers 1608, Banco de España;Occasional Papers Homepage.
- António Afonso & João Tovar Jalles, 2016. "The Fiscal Consequences of Deflation: Evidence from the Golden Age of Globalization," Working Papers Department of Economics 2016/23, ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, Universidade de Lisboa.
More about this item
KeywordsDeflation; Public finance; Fiscal policy; Fiscal analysis; Developed countries; Panel analysis; Fiscal policy; Deflation; Low inflation; Inflation; Public finances;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CBA-2015-09-11 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FDG-2015-09-11 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-HIS-2015-09-11 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MAC-2015-09-11 (Macroeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:15/176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Hassan Zaidi to update the entry or send us the correct email address. General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.