The Quest for Non-Resource-Based FDI: Do Taxes Matter?
Using manufacturing and services firm-level data for 30 sub-Saharan African (SSA) countries, this paper shows that taxation is not a significant driver for the location of foreign firms in SSA, while other investment climate factors, such as infrastructure, human capital, and insitutions, are. By analyzing disaggregate FDI data, the paper establishes that, while there is considerable contrast in behavior between vertical FDI (foreign firms producing for export) and horizontal FDI (foreign firms producing for local markets), taxation is not a key determinant for either type of FDI. Horizontal FDI is attracted to areas with higher trade regulations, highlighting interest in protected markets. Furthermore, horizontal FDI is affected more by financing and human capital constraints, and less by infrastructure and institutional constraints, than is vertical FDI.
|Date of creation:||27 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dollar, David & Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Mengistae, Taye, 2006.
"Investment climate and international integration,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1498-1516, September.
- Marie-Ange VEGANZONES-VAROUDAKIS & Patrick PLANE & Tidiane KINDA, 2011.
"Firm Productivity and Investment Climate in Developing Countries: How Does Middle East and North Africa Manufacturing Perform?,"
- Tidiane Kinda & Patrick Plane & Marie‐Ange Véganzonès‐Varoudakis, 2011. "Firm Productivity And Investment Climate In Developing Countries: How Does Middle East And North Africa Manufacturing Perform?," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 49(4), pages 429-462, December.
- Urata, Shujiro & Kawai, Hiroki, 2000. " The Determinants of the Location of Foreign Direct Investment by Japanese Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 79-103, September.
- S. Van Parys & S. James, 2010. "The Effectiveness of Tax Incentives in Attracting FDI: Evidence from the Tourism Sector in the Caribbean," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 10/675, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Patrick Plane & Marie-Ange Veganzones & Tidiane Kinda, 2011. "Firm Productivity and Investment Climate in Developing Countries: How Does Middle East and North Africa Manufacturing Perform?," Working Papers halshs-00617574, HAL.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2008.
"Corporate tax elasticities: a reader's guide to empirical findings,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 680-697, winter.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2008. "Corporate Tax Elasticities A Reader’s Guide to Empirical Findings," Working Papers 0822, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Honorati, Maddalena & Mengistae, Taye, 2007. "Corruption, business environment, and small business fixed investment in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4356, The World Bank.
- Mario Mansour & Michael Keen, 2009. "Revenue Mobilization in Sub-Saharan Africa; Challenges From Globalization," IMF Working Papers 09/157, International Monetary Fund.
- Smarzynska, Beata K. & Shang-Jin Wei, 2000. "Corruption and the composition of foreign direct investment - firm-level evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2360, The World Bank.
- Patrick Plane & Marie-Ange Veganzones & Tidiane Kinda, 2011. "Firm Productivity and Investment Climate in Developing Countries: How Does Middle East and North Africa Manufacturing Perform?," Working Papers halshs-00617575, HAL.
- Kinda, Tidiane, 2010. "Investment Climate and FDI in Developing Countries: Firm-Level Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 498-513, April.
- Carmen Pagés-Serra & Reyes Aterido & Mary Hallward-Driemeier, 2007.
"Investment Climate and Employment Growth: The Impact of Access to Finance, Corruption and Regulations Across Firms,"
Research Department Publications
4559, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Reyes Aterido & Mary Hallward-Driemeier & Carmen Pagés-Serra, 2007. "Investment Climate and Employment Growth: The Impact of Access to Finance, Corruption and Regulations across Firms," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 43618, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Aterido, Reyes & Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Pagés, Carmen, 2007. "Investment Climate and Employment Growth: The Impact of Access to Finance, Corruption and Regulations Across Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 3138, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Du, Julan & Lu, Yi & Tao, Zhigang, 2008. "Economic institutions and FDI location choice: Evidence from US multinationals in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 412-429, September.
- Tidiane Kinda, 2012.
"Foreign ownership, sales to multinationals and firm efficiency: the case of Brazil, Morocco, Pakistan, South Africa and Vietnam,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(6), pages 551-555, April.
- Kinda, Tidiane, 2009. "Foreign ownership, sales to multinationals, and firm efficiency: The Case of Brazil, Morocco, Pakistan, South Africa, and Vietnam," MPRA Paper 19160, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beata K. Smarzynska & Shang-Jin Wei, 2000. "Corruption and Composition of Foreign Direct Investment: Firm-Level Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7969, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liu, Zhiqiang, 2008. "Foreign direct investment and technology spillovers: Theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 176-193, February.
- Mohamed Chaffai & Tidiane Kinda & Patrick Plane, 2012. "Textile Manufacturing in Eight Developing Countries: Does Business Environment Matter for Firm Technical Efficiency?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(10), pages 1470-1488, October.
- Stephen Ross Yeaple, 2003. "The Role of Skill Endowments in the Structure of U.S. Outward Foreign Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 726-734, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:14/15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.