Banksâ€™ Foreign Credit Exposures and Borrowersâ€™ Rollover Risks Measurement, Evolution and Determinants
The recent crises highlighted the role of cross-border banking linkages. This paper proposes two new measures for better capturing creditor banking systemsâ€™ foreign credit exposures and borrower countriesâ€™ reliance on foreign bank credit, by combining BIS data with bank-level data. The results indicate that the proposed refinements matter, especially when foreign bank affiliatesâ€™ funding relies heavily on local deposits. In addition, after developing novel and necessary break-in-series and exchange rate variation adjustments, estimations looking at the driving factors of both measures during 2006-2012 highlight: (i) the role of systemic banking crises and global financial conditions in the evolution of banksâ€™ foreign credit exposures; (ii) the role of a larger set of factors in the case of the evolution of borrower countriesâ€™ reliance on foreign bank creditâ€”how countries borrowed, from whom they borrowed, and global financial and domestic demand conditions.
|Date of creation:||11 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2001.
"When Is U.S. Bank Lending to Emerging Markets Volatile?,"
NBER Working Papers
8209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "When Is U.S. Bank Lending to Emerging Markets Volatile?," NBER Chapters, in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 171-196 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2001. "When is U.S. bank lending to emerging markets volatile?," Staff Reports 119, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Patrick McGuire & Nikola Tarashev, 2008. "Bank health and lending to emerging markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- De Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2009.
"Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries,"
13164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2010. "Internal capital markets and lending by multinational bank subsidiaries," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2006. "Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries," DNB Working Papers 101, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Cerutti, Eugenio & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2005.
"How banks go abroad : branches or subsidiaries ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3753, The World Bank.
- Ralph De Haas & Neeltje Van Horen, 2013.
"Running for the Exit? International Bank Lending During a Financial Crisis,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(1), pages 244-285.
- Ralph de Haas & Neeltje van Horen, 2011. "Running for the Exit: International Banks and Crisis Transmission," DNB Working Papers 279, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Aneta Hryckiewicz & Oskar Kowalewski, 2011. "Why Do Foreign Banks Withdraw from Other Countries?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 67-102, 04.
- Eugenio Cerutti & Stijn Claessens & Patrick McGuire, 2012.
"Systemic Risks in Global Banking: What Available Data can tell us and What More Data are Needed?,"
NBER Working Papers
18531, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eugenio Cerutti & Stijn Claessens & Patrick McGuire, 2012. "Systemic Risks in Global Banking: What Available Data Can Tell Us and What More Data Are Needed?," NBER Chapters, in: Risk Topography: Systemic Risk and Macro Modeling, pages 235-260 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eugenio M Cerutti & Patrick M. McGuire & Stijn Claessens, 2011. "Systemic Risks in Global Banking; What Available Data Can Tell Us and What More Data Are Needed?," IMF Working Papers 11/222, International Monetary Fund.
- Ingo Fender & Patrick McGuire, 2010. "Bank structure, funding risk and the transmission of shocks across countries: concepts and measurement," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- International Monetary Fund, 2010.
"Risk and the Corporate Structure of Banks,"
IMF Working Papers
10/40, International Monetary Fund.
- Stijn Claessens & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2010. "Cross-country experiences and policy implications from the global financial crisis," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 25, pages 267-293, 04.
- Stefan Afdjiev & Zsolt Kuti & Elod Takáts, 2012. "The euro area crisis and cross-border bank lending to emerging markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Eugenio M Cerutti & Christian Schmieder, 2012. "The Need for "Un-consolidating" Consolidated Banks' Stress Tests," IMF Working Papers 12/288, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:13/9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.