A Framework for Macroprudential Bank Solvency Stress Testing: Application to S-25 and Other G-20 Country FSAPs
The global financial crisis has placed the spotlight squarely on bank stress tests. Stress tests conducted in the lead-up to the crisis, including those by IMF staff, were not always able to identify the right risks and vulnerabilities. Since then, IMF staff has developed more robust stress testing methods and models and adopted a more coherent and consistent approach. This paper articulates the solvency stress testing framework that is being applied in the IMFâ€™s surveillance of member countriesâ€™ banking systems, and discusses examples of its actual implementation in FSAPs to 18 countries which are in the group comprising the 25 most systemically important financial systems (â€œS-25â€) plus other G-20 countries. In doing so, the paper also offers useful guidance for readers seeking to develop their own stress testing frameworks and country authorities preparing for FSAPs. A detailed Stress Test Matrix (STeM) comparing the stress test parameters applie in each of these major country FSAPs is provided, together with our stress test output templates.
|Date of creation:||13 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eugenio Cerutti & Christian Schmieder, 2012. "The Need for "Un-consolidating" Consolidated Banks' Stress Tests," IMF Working Papers 12/288, International Monetary Fund.
- Rodrigo Alfaro & Mathias Drehmann, 2009. "Macro stress tests and crises: what can we learn?," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Claudio Borio & Mathias Drehmann & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2012.
"Stress-testing macro stress testing: does it live up to expectations?,"
BIS Working Papers
369, Bank for International Settlements.
- Borio, Claudio & Drehmann, Mathias & Tsatsaronis, Kostas, 2014. "Stress-testing macro stress testing: Does it live up to expectations?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 12(C), pages 3-15.
- Juan Sole & Marco A Espinosa-Vega, 2010.
"Cross-Border Financial Surveillance: A Network Perspective,"
IMF Working Papers
10/105, International Monetary Fund.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & Juan Solé, 2011. "Cross-border financial surveillance: a network perspective," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 182-205, August.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Vitek, Francis, 2011. "Spillovers from the Euro Area Sovereign Debt Crisis: A Macroeconometric Model Based Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 8497, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andreas A. Jobst & Dale F. Gray, 2013. "Systemic Contingent Claims Analysis: Estimating Market-Implied Systemic Risk," IMF Working Papers 13/54, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:13/68. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.