The Evolution of Current Account Deficits in the Euro Area Periphery and the Baltics: Many Paths to the Same Endpoint
Explanations of the large current account deficits for the euro area periphery and the Baltics in the run up to the crisis revolve around two main factors: deteriorating export performance or demand driven booms. We add that there were important movements in transfers and net income balances. While export performance remained relatively stable in most countries, for some countries, when transfers declined, households and firms borrowed so as to maintain the same level of spending. This was part of a persistent failure to adjust to trade deficits, which, along with rising net income payments, led to growing current account deficits. All of these factors played varying roles in the development of current account deficits across these countries.
|Date of creation:||17 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nils Holinski & Clemens Kool & Joan Muysken, 2012. "Persistent macroeconomic imbalances in the Euro area: causes and consequences," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 1-20.
- Lane, Philip R. & Pels, Barbara, 2012.
"Current Account Imbalances in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8958, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Barbara Pels, 2012. "Current Account Imbalances in Europe," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp397, IIIS.
- Ruben Atoyan & Jonathan F Manning & Jesmin Rahman, 2013. "Rebalancing; Evidence from Current Account Adjustment in Europe," IMF Working Papers 13/74, International Monetary Fund.
- Gaulier, G. & Vicard, V., 2012.
"Évolution des déséquilibres courants dans la zone euro : choc de compétitivité ou choc de demande ?,"
Bulletin de la Banque de France,
Banque de France, issue 189, pages 47-64.
- G. Gaulier. & V. Vicard., 2012. "Current account imbalances in the euro area: competitiveness or demand shock?," Quarterly selection of articles - Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 27, pages 5-26, Autumn.
- Anna Ivanova, 2012. "Current Account Imbalances: Can Structural Policies Make a Difference?," IMF Working Papers 12/61, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:13/169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.