Bank Funding in Central, Eastern and South Eastern Europe Post Lehman: A â€œNew Normalâ€?
CESEE banks are reducing foreign funding sources in response to reduced external imbalances, reduced ability to tap international savings, banking group own strategies, initiatives by some regulators, and consistently with uncertainties surrounding the future of the banking union project. In the medium term, the global regulatory agenda and the high foreign presence and stock of FX loans exert opposite forces on rebalancing trends. In the long-term, any funding “new normal” will be determined by the future design of the EU financial architecture. In the meantime, limiting leverage, the use of FX loans and promoting aggregate saving through macro policies and capital market reforms will increase resilience against shocks going forward.
|Date of creation:||19 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldkircher, Martin, 2012.
"The Determinants of Vulnerability to the Global Financial Crisis 2008 to 2009: Credit Growth and Other Sources of Risk,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
26/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Feldkircher, Martin, 2014. "The determinants of vulnerability to the global financial crisis 2008 to 2009: Credit growth and other sources of risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 19-49.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart & Esteban R. Vesperoni, 2014.
"Capital Inflows, Exchange Rate Flexibility and Credit Booms,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 415-430, 08.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Esteban Vesperoni & Carmen Reinhart, 2012. "Capital Inflows, Exchange Rate Flexibility, and Credit Booms," IMF Working Papers 12/41, International Monetary Fund.
- Nicolas E. Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart & Esteban R. Vesperoni, 2011. "Capital Inflows, Exchange Rate Flexibility, and Credit Booms," NBER Working Papers 17670, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1999. "Lessons from the Tequila Crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1521-1533, October.
- Hyun Song Shin, 2012. "Global Banking Glut and Loan Risk Premium," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 60(2), pages 155-192, July.
- Jesmin Rahman & Tianli Zhao, 2013. "Export Performance in Europe; What Do We Know from Supply Links?," IMF Working Papers 13/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Hinz & Heinz P. Rudolph & Pablo Antolin & Juan Yermo, 2010. "Evaluating the Financial Performance of Pension Funds," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2405, September.
- Gardó, Sándor & Martin, Reiner, 2010. "The impact of the global economic and financial crisis on central, eastern and south-eastern Europe: A stock-taking exercise," Occasional Paper Series 114, European Central Bank.
- Brown, Martin & Kirschenmann, Karolin & Ongena, Steven, 2010.
"Foreign Currency Loans - Demand or Supply Driven?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7952, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Brown & Karolin Kirschenmann & Steven Ongena, 2011. "Foreign Currency Loans - Demand or Supply Driven?," Working Papers 2011-02, Swiss National Bank.
- Brown, Martin & Kirschenmann, Karolin & Ongena, Steven, 2010. "Foreign Currency Loans - Demand or Supply Driven?," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 8, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Musalem, Alberto R. & Impavido, Gregorio & Tressel, Thierry, 2001. "Contractual savings, capital markets, and firms'financing choices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2612, The World Bank.
- Francesco Spadafora & Emidio Cocozza & Andrea Colabella, 2011. "The Impact of the Global Crisison South-Eastern Europe," IMF Working Papers 11/300, International Monetary Fund.
- Jerome Vandenbussche & Ursula Vogel & Enrica Detragiache, 2012. "Macroprudential Policies and Housing Price; A New Database and Empirical Evidence for Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe," IMF Working Papers 12/303, International Monetary Fund.
- Maria Abascal & Luis Carranza Ugarte & Mayte Ledo & Arnoldo Lopez Marmolejo, 2011. "Impact of Financial Regulation on Emerging Countries," Working Papers 1108, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:13/148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.