Bond Markets in Africa
African bond markets have been steadily growing in recent years, but nonetheless remain undeveloped. African countries would benefit from greater access to financing and deeper financial markets. This paper compiles a unique set of data on corporate bond markets in Africa. It then applies an econometric model to analyze the key determinants of African government securities market and corporate bond market capitalization. Government securities market capitalization is directly related to better institutions and interest rate volatility, and inversely related to the fiscal balance, higher interest rate spreads, exchange rate volatility, and current and capital account openness. Corporate bond market capitalization is directly linked to economic size, the level of development of the economy and financial markets, better institutions, and interest rate volatility, and inversely related to higher interest rate spreads and current account openness. Policy implications follow.
|Date of creation:||14 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burger, John D. & Warnock, Francis E., 2007.
"Foreign participation in local currency bond markets,"
Review of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 291-304.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2004. "Foreign participation in local-currency bond markets," International Finance Discussion Papers 794, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2006. "Foreign Participation in Local Currency Bond Markets," NBER Working Papers 12548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Felman & Simon Gray & Mangal Goswami & Andreas A. Jobst & Mahmood Pradhan & Shanaka Peiris & Dulani Seneviratne, 2014. "ASEAN-5 bond market development: Where does it stand? Where is it going?," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 28(1), pages 60-75, 05.
- Mahmood Pradhan & Shanaka J Peiris & Mangal Goswami & Dulani Seneviratne & Joshua Felman & Andreas Jobst & Simon T Gray, 2011. "Asean Bond Market Development; Where Does it Stand? Where is it Going?," IMF Working Papers 11/137, International Monetary Fund.
- S M Ali Abbas & Jakob E Christensen, 2010. "The Role of Domestic Debt Markets in Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation for Low-Income Countries and Emerging Markets," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 57(1), pages 209-255, April.
- S. M. Ali Abbas & Jakob E Christensen, 2007. "The Role of Domestic Debt Markets in Economic Growth; An Empirical Investigation for Low-Income Countries and Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 07/127, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry Eichengreen & Pipat Luengnaruemitchai, 2006. "Why doesn’t Asia have bigger bond markets?," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 40-77 Bank for International Settlements.
- Barry Eichengreen & Pipat Luengnaruemitchai, 2004. "Why Doesn't Asia Have Bigger Bond Markets?," NBER Working Papers 10576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated". "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., "undated". "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP 412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Charles Komla Adjasi & Charles Amo Yartey, 2007. "Stock Market Development in Sub-Saharan Africa; Critical Issues and Challenges," IMF Working Papers 07/209, International Monetary Fund.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2006. "Local Currency Bond Markets," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(si), pages 1-7.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2006. "Local Currency Bond Markets," NBER Working Papers 12552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mame Astou Diouf & Francois Boutin-Dufresne, 2012. "Financing Growth in the WAEMU Through the Regional Securities Market; Past Successes and Current Challenges," IMF Working Papers 12/249, International Monetary Fund.
- Mihasonirina Andrianaivo & Charles Amo Yartey, 2009. "Understanding the growth of african financial markets," Post-Print halshs-00422047, HAL.
- Sandrine Kablan, 2009. "Banking Efficiency and Financial Development in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)," The African Finance Journal, Africagrowth Institute, vol. 11(2), pages 28-50.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991. "Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Russ, Katheryn N. & Valderrama, Diego, 2012. "A theory of bank versus bond finance and intra-industry reallocation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 652-673.
- Simon T Gray & Andreas Jobst & Joshua Felman & Ana Carvajal, 2011. "Developing Asean5 Bond Markets; What Still Needs to Be Done?," IMF Working Papers 11/135, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)