Unemployment and Labor Market Issues in Algeria
The aim of this paper is to analyze unemployment and labor market developments in Algeria and assess the factors that may hamper employment creation. The results of the paper suggest that the relative low output-employment elasticities and rigid labor market are the main factors behind the still high level of unemployment, particularly among the youth. Simulation analyses, based on the results on the relation between labor market institutions and unemployment, show that improvement in labor market conditions in Algeria would be key in reducing unemployment both in the short- and medium-term.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2009.
"Unemployment, institutions, and reform complementarities: re-assessing the aggregate evidence for OECD countries,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 40-59, Spring.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2009. "Unemployment, institutions and reform complementarities: Re-assessing the aggregate evidence for OECD countries," Post-Print halshs-00395144, HAL.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions,"
OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers
35, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 486, OECD Publishing.
- Luca Nunziata, 2002. "Unemployment, Labour Market Institutions and Shocks," Economics Papers 2002-W16, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Lorenzo E Bernal-Verdugo & Davide Furceri & Dominique Guillaume, 2012.
"Labor Market Flexibility and Unemployment: New Empirical Evidence of Static and Dynamic Effects,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 54(2), pages 251-273, June.
- Lorenzo E. Bernal-Verdugo & Davide Furceri & Dominique M. Guillaume, 2012. "Labor Market Flexibility and Unemployment; New Empirical Evidence of Static and Dynamic Effects," IMF Working Papers 12/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Juan Botero, 2003.
"The Regulation of Labor,"
NBER Working Papers
9756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Botero & Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio López-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, "undated". "The Regulation of Labor," Working Paper 19483, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Botero, J. C. & Djankov, S. & Porta, R. L. & Lopez-de-Silanes, F. & Shleifer, Andrei, 2004. "The Regulation of Labor," Scholarly Articles 27867241, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Afonso, António & Furceri, Davide, 2010.
"Government size, composition, volatility and economic growth,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 517-532, December.
- António Afonso & Davide Furceri, 2008. "Government Size, Composition, Volatility and Economic Growth," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/04, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Afonso, António & Furceri, Davide, 2008. "Government size, composition, volatility and economic growth," Working Paper Series 0849, European Central Bank.
- David R. Howell, Miriam Rehm, 2009. "WP 2009-9 Unemployment Compensation and High European Unemployment: A Reassessment with New Benefit Indicators," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 2009-9, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Gilles Mourre, 2006.
"Did the pattern of aggregate employment growth change in the euro area in the late 1990s?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(15), pages 1783-1807.
- Gilles Mourre, 2006. "Did the pattern of aggregate employment growth change in the Euro area in the late 1990s?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14299, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mourre, Gilles, 2004. "Did the pattern of aggregate employment growth change in the euro area in the late 1990s?," Working Paper Series 0358, European Central Bank.
- Horst Feldmann, 2006. "Government Size and Unemployment: Evidence from Industrial Countries," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 127(3), pages 443-459, June.
- Davide Furceri & Lorenzo E. Bernal-Verdugo & Dominique M. Guillaume, 2012. "Crises, Labor Market Policy, and Unemployment," IMF Working Papers 12/65, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:12/99. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.