Asymmetric Effects of the Financial Crisis: Collateral-Based Investment-Cash Flow Sensitivity Analysis
This paper uses the financial crisis of 2008 as a natural experiment to demonstrate that when measuring investment-cash flow sensitivity, the value of a firm's assets that can be used as collateral should be taken into account. Using panel data on U.S. firms from 1990 to 2011, it was found that the share of physical capital in assets has a strong influence on investment-cash flow sensitivity, which decreased substantially after the crisis when banks changed their expectations about the value of assets on firms' balance sheets. This paper deepens our understanding of firms' investment behavior.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murillo Campello & Erasmo Giambona & John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 2010.
"Liquidity Management and Corporate Investment During a Financial Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
16309, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Murillo Campello & Erasmo Giambona & John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 2011. "Liquidity Management and Corporate Investment During a Financial Crisis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 1944-1979.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sean Cleary, 1999. "The Relationship between Firm Investment and Financial Status," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 673-692, 04.
- Sangeeta Pratap, 2001.
"Do Adjustment Costs Explain Investment-Cash Flow Insensitivity?,"
0103, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Pratap, Sangeeta, 2003. "Do adjustment costs explain investment-cash flow insensitivity?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(11-12), pages 1993-2006, September.
- Pratap, Sangeeta, 2003. "Do adjustment costs explain investment-cash flow insensitivity?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 1993-2006.
- Sangeeta Pratap, 2000. "Do Adjustment Costs Explain Investment-Cash Flow Insensitivity?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 315, Society for Computational Economics.
- Brown, James R. & Petersen, Bruce C., 2009. "Why has the investment-cash flow sensitivity declined so sharply? Rising R&D and equity market developments," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 971-984, May.
- Aydogan Alti, 2003. "How Sensitive Is Investment to Cash Flow When Financing Is Frictionless?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 707-722, 04.
- Murillo Campello & John Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 2009.
"The Real Effects of Financial Constraints: Evidence from a Financial Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
15552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campello, Murillo & Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2010. "The real effects of financial constraints: Evidence from a financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 470-487, September.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002. "IVREG2: Stata module for extended instrumental variables/2SLS and GMM estimation," Statistical Software Components S425401, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 29 Aug 2015.
- Cleary, Sean & Povel, Paul E M & Raith, Michael, 2004.
"The U-Shaped Investment Curve: Theory and Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4206, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cleary, Sean & Povel, Paul & Raith, Michael, 2007. "The U-Shaped Investment Curve: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(01), pages 1-39, March.
- Sean Cleary & Paul Povel & Michael Raith, 2003. "The U-shaped Investment Curve: Theory and Evidence," Finance 0311010, EconWPA.
- Allayannis, George & Mozumdar, Abon, 2004. "The impact of negative cash flow and influential observations on investment-cash flow sensitivity estimates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 901-930, May.
- Vladimir A. Gatchev & Todd Pulvino & Vefa Tarhan, 2010. "The Interdependent and Intertemporal Nature of Financial Decisions: An Application to Cash Flow Sensitivities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(2), pages 725-763, 04.
- Rousseau, Peter L. & Kim, Jong Hun, 2008. "A flight to Q? Firm investment and financing in Korea before and after the 1997 financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1416-1429, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:12/97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.