Revisiting Risk-Weighted Assets
In this paper, we provide an overview of the concerns surrounding the variations in the calculation of risk-weighted assets (RWAs) across banks and jurisdictions and how this might undermine the Basel III capital adequacy framework. We discuss the key drivers behind the differences in these calculations, drawing upon a sample of systemically important banks from Europe, North America, and Asia Pacific. We then discuss a range of policy options that could be explored to fix the actual and perceived problems with RWAs, and improve the use of risk-sensitive capital ratios.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asli Demirguc‐Kunt & Enrica Detragiache & Ouarda Merrouche, 2013.
"Bank Capital: Lessons from the Financial Crisis,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(6), pages 1147-1164, 09.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2010. "Bank capital : lessons from the financial crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5473, The World Bank.
- Ouarda Merrouche & Enrica Detragiache & Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt, 2010. "Bank Capital: Lessons From the Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 10/286, International Monetary Fund.
- Gordy, Michael B. & Marrone, James, 2012.
"Granularity adjustment for mark-to-market credit risk models,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1896-1910.
- Michael B. Gordy & James Marrone, 2010. "Granularity adjustment for mark-to-market credit risk models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:12/90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.