Nonfinancial Firms in Latin America; A Source of Vulnerability?
We examine corporate sector vulnerabilities in Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru. First, we identify stylized facts based on corporate financial indicators. Second, we assess vulnerability of individual firms to a sudden stop in financing through a probit model, using a panel of 18 countries in 2000-11. Results suggest that higher leverage and maturity exposures raise a firmâ€™s probability to become exposed to a funding shock, while a larger firm size and buffers reduce it. Further, greater exchange rate flexibility can help mitigate corporate vulnerability. Identification of firms at risk through the model suggests that some vulnerabilities may be building in Latin America led by leverage, currency exposures and moderating buffers. These effects are partially offset, however, by a significant reduction in maturity exposures.
|Date of creation:||29 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Driffield, Nigel & Pal, Sarmistha & Roland, Isabelle, 2010.
"Excess Leverage and Productivity Growth in Emerging Economies: Is There A Threshold Effect?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4834, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Driffield, Nigel & Pal, Sarmistha & Roland, Isabelle, 2009. "Excess Leverage and Productivity Growth in Emerging Economies: Is There A Threshold Effect?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7617, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kevin Cowan & José De Gregorio & Alejandro Micco & Christopher Neilson, 2008.
"Financial Diversification, Sudden Stops, and Sudden Starts,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Kevin Cowan & Sebastián Edwards & Rodrigo O. Valdés & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt- (ed.), Current Account and External Financing, edition 1, volume 12, chapter 5, pages 159-194
Central Bank of Chile.
- Kevin Cowan & Jose De Gregorio & Alejandro Micco & Christopher Neilson, 2007. "Financial Diversification, Sudden Stops and Sudden Starts," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 423, Central Bank of Chile.
- Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay, 2008.
"Does the currency regime shape unhedged currency exposure,"
08/50, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay, 2010. "Does the currency regime shape unhedged currency exposure?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 760-769, September.
- Ajay Shah & Ila Patnaik, 2009. "Does the Currency Regime Shape Unhedged Currency Exposure?," Working Papers id:2049, eSocialSciences.
- Leandro Medina, 2012. "Spring Forward or Fall Back? The Post-Crisis Recovery of Firms," IMF Working Papers 12/292, International Monetary Fund.
- Claessens, Stijn & Tong, Hui & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2012.
"From the financial crisis to the real economy: Using firm-level data to identify transmission channels,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 375-387.
- Stijn Claessens & Hui Tong & Shang-Jin Wei, 2011. "From the Financial Crisis to the Real Economy: Using Firm-level Data to Identify Transmission Channels," NBER Chapters, in: Global Financial Crisis National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stijn Claessens & Hui Tong & Shang-Jin Wei, 2011. "From the Financial Crisis to the Real Economy: Using Firm-level Data to Identify Transmission Channels," NBER Working Papers 17360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Papa M'B. P. N'Diaye & Dale F. Gray & Natalia T. Tamirisa & Hiroko Oura & Qianying Chen, 2010. "International Transmission of Bank and Corporate Distress," IMF Working Papers 10/124, International Monetary Fund.
- Bernanke, B. & Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1998.
"The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework,"
98-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1999. "The financial accelerator in a quantitative business cycle framework," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1341-1393 Elsevier.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1998. "The Financial Accelerator in a Quantitative Business Cycle Framework," NBER Working Papers 6455, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995.
" What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parsley, David C. & Popper, Helen A., 2006. "Exchange rate pegs and foreign exchange exposure in East and South East Asia," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 992-1009, October.
- Martinez, Lorenza & Werner, Alejandro, 2002. "The exchange rate regime and the currency composition of corporate debt: the Mexican experience," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 315-334, December.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2003. "Excessive Dollar Debt: Financial Development and Underinsurance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 867-894, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:12/279. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.