Modeling the Impact of Taxes on Petroleum Exploration and Development
We present a simple model of petroleum exploration and development that can be applied to study the performance of alternative tax systems and identify potential distortions. Although the model is a highly simplified, it incorporates many factors and some of the key tradeoffs that would influence an investorâ€™s investment behavior. The model recognizes the role of enhanced oil recovery and treats the impact of taxation on exploration and development in an integrated manner consistent with an investorâ€™s joint optimization of investments at both stages of the process. The model is simple and user-friendly, which facilitates application to a broad range of problems.
|Date of creation:||27 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Poterba, 2010. "The Challenge of Tax Reform and Expanding the Tax Base," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 41(2), pages 133-148.
- Henry D. Jacoby & James L. Smith, 1985. "Effects of Taxes and Price Regulation on Offshore Gas," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I).
- Helmi-Oskoui, B. & Narayanan, R. & Glover, T. & Lyon, K. S. & Sinha, M., 1992. "Optimal extraction of petroleum resources : An empirical approach," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 267-285, September.
- Lund, Diderik, 1992.
"Petroleum taxation under uncertainty: contingent claims analysis with an application to Norway,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 23-31, January.
- Lund, D., 1990. "Petroleum Taxation under Uncertainty-Contingent Claims Analysis with an Application to Norway," Memorandum 24/1990, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Adelman, M A, 1990. "Mineral Depletion, with Special Reference to Petroleum," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 1-10, February.
- Paolo Panteghini, 2002.
"Asymmetric Taxation under Incremental and Sequential Investment,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
717, CESifo Group Munich.
- Paolo M. Panteghini, 2005. "Asymmetric Taxation under Incremental and Sequential Investment," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 7(5), pages 761-779, December.
- Zhang, Lei, 1997. "Neutrality and Efficiency of Petroleum Revenue Tax: A Theoretical Assessment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(443), pages 1106-20, July.
- James L. Smith, 1995. "On the Cost of Lost Production from Russian Oil Fields," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 25-58.
- Blake, Andon J. & Roberts, Mark C., 2006. "Comparing petroleum fiscal regimes under oil price uncertainty," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 95-105, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:12/278. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.