Sovereign Risk and Asset and Liability Management; Conceptual Issues
Country practices towards managing financial risks on a sovereign balance sheet continue to evolve. Each crisis period, and its legacy on sovereign balance sheets, reaffirms the need for strengthening financial risk management. This paper discusses some salient features embedded in in the current generation of sovereign asset and liability management (SALM) approaches, including objectives, definitions of relevant assets and liabilities, and methodologies used in obtaining optimal SALM outcomes. These elements are used in developing an analytical SALM framework which could become an operational instrument in formulating asset management and debtor liability management strategies at the sovereign level. From a portfolio perspective, the SALM approach could help detect direct and derived sovereign risk exposures. It allows analyzing the financial characteristics of the balance sheet, identifying sources of costs and risks, and quantifying the correlations among these sources of risk. The paper also outlines institutional requirements in implementing an SALM framework and seeks to lay the ground for further policy and analytical work on this topic.
|Date of creation:||04 Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan-Peter Olters & Daniel Leigh, 2006. "Natural-Resource Depletion, Habit Formation, and Sustainable Fiscal Policy; Lessons from Gabon," IMF Working Papers 06/193, .
- Missale, Alessandro, 1997. " Managing the Public Debt: The Optimal Taxation Approach," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 235-265, September.
- repec:cdl:ucsbec:1-02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gong, Gang & Semmler, Willi, 2006. "Stochastic Dynamic Macroeconomics: Theory and Empirical Evidence," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195301625.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2003.
"Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields,"
NBER Working Papers
10048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2006. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 337-364, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2002. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2003. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Bohn, Henning, 2002.
"Government Asset and Liability Management in an Era of Vanishing Public Debt,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt1168177r, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Henning Bohn, 2002. "Government asset and liability management in an era of vanishing public debt," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 887-940.
- Bohn, Henning, 2002. "Government Asset and Liability Management in a Era of Vanishing Public Debt," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 887-933, August.
- Topaloglou, Nikolas & Vladimirou, Hercules & Zenios, Stavros A., 2008. "A dynamic stochastic programming model for international portfolio management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1501-1524, March.
- Michael G. Papaioannou, 2006. "A Primer for Risk Measurement of Bonded Debt from the Perspective of a Sovereign Debt Manager," IMF Working Papers 06/195, .
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-489, October.
- Stijn Claessens & Jerome Kreuser, 2007. "Strategic foreign reserves risk management: Analytical framework," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 152(1), pages 79-113, July.
- David Heath & Robert Jarrow & Andrew Morton, 2008.
"Bond Pricing And The Term Structure Of Interest Rates: A New Methodology For Contingent Claims Valuation,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 13, pages 277-305
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Alessandro Missale, "undated". "Optimal Debt Management with a Stability and Growth Pact," Working Papers 166, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Oecd, 2005. "Overview of Advances in Risk Management of Government Debt," Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2005(1), pages 117-134.
- David Jamieson Bolder & Tiago Rubin, 2007.
"Optimization in a Simulation Setting: Use of Function Approximation in Debt Strategy Analysis,"
Staff Working Papers
07-13, Bank of Canada.
- David Jamieson Bolder & Tiago Rubin, 2007. "Optimization in a Simulation Setting: Use of Function Approximation in Debt Strategy Analysis," Staff Working Papers 07-14, Bank of Canada.
- Arthur Grimes, 2001. "Crown Financial Asset Management: Objectives and Practice," Treasury Working Paper Series 01/12, New Zealand Treasury.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:12/241. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.