The Eastern Caribbean Currency Union; Would a Fiscal Insurance Mechanism Mitigate National Income Shocks?
This paper studies the nature of the shocks affecting the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union (ECCU), and examines whether a hypothetical Eastern Caribbean fiscal insurance mechanism could insure member countries of the union against asymmetric national income shocks. The empirical results suggest that a one dollar reduction in an ECCU member country's per capita personal income could trigger, through reduced income taxes and increased transfers, flows equivalent to about 7 percent of the initial income shock. Each member of the currency union could benefit as well, although the extent of shock mitigation differs across individual countries.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:imf:imfpdp:9607 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, 2005.
"Vulnerability To Shocks In Emu: 1991-2004,"
05-08, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, 2007. "Vulnerability to Shocks in EMU: 1991–2004 (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(5-6), pages 225-234, August.
- Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Oscar Bajo-Rubio, . "Vulnerability to Shocks in EMU: 1991-2004," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 05-08, FEDEA.
- Sampawende Jules TAPSOBA, 2010.
"West African Monetary Integration and Interstates Risk-Sharing,"
- Sampawende Jules Tapsoba, 2011. "West African Monetary Integration and Interstates Risk-Sharing," Working Papers halshs-00553244, HAL.
- Asdrubali, Pierfederico & Sorensen, Bent E & Yosha, Oved, 1996. "Channels of Interstate Risk Sharing: United States 1963-1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1081-1110, November.
- Davide Furceri, 2004. "Does the EMU Need a Fiscal Transfer Mechanism?," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 73(3), pages 418-428.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, .
"Characterizing macroeconomic shocks in the CEECs,"
Working Papers on International Economics and Finance
- Perotti, Roberto & Spolaore, Enrico & Alesina, Alberto, 1995.
"Together or Separately? Issues on the Costs and Benefits of Political and Fiscal Unions,"
4553017, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto & Spolaore, Enrico, 1995. "Togetheror separately? Issues on the costs and benefits of political and fiscal unions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 751-758, April.
- Emilio Pineda & Paul Cashin & Yan Sun, 2009. "Assessing Exchange Rate Competitiveness in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union," IMF Working Papers 09/78, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:12/17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.