Natural Resources, Volatility, and Inclusive Growth: Perspectives From the Middle East and North Africa
This paper takes stock of the economic performance of resource rich countries in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) over the past forty years. While those countries have maintained high levels of income per capita, they have performed poorly when going beyond the assessment based on standard income level measures. Resource rich countries in MENA have experienced relatively low and non inclusive economic growth as well as high levels of macroeconomic volatility. Important improvements in health and education have taken place but the quality of the provision of public goods and services remains an important source of concerns. Looking forward we argue that the success of economic reforms in MENA rests on the ability of those countries to invest boldly in building inclusive institutions as well as high levels of human capacity in public administrations.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benedikt Goderis & Samuel W Malone, 2008.
"Natural Resource Booms and Inequality: Theory and Evidence,"
OxCarre Working Papers
008, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Benedikt Goderis & Samuel W. Malone, 2011. "Natural Resource Booms and Inequality: Theory and Evidence," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113, pages 388-417, 06.
- Goderis, Benedikt & Malone, Samuel W., 2009. "Natural Resource Booms and Inequality: Theory and Evidence," MPRA Paper 17317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benedikt Goderis & Samuel W. Malone, 2008. "Natural Resource Boom and Inequality: Theory and Evidence," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-11, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Benedikt Goderis & Samuel W. Malone, 2008. "Natural Resource Booms and Inequality: Theory and Evidence," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2008-11, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Rabah Arezki & Thorvaldur Gylfason, 2011. "Commodity Price Volatility, Democracy and Economic Growth," CESifo Working Paper Series 3619, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kareem Ismail & Rabah Arezki, 2010.
"Boom-Bust Cycle, Asymmetrical Fiscal Response and the Dutch Disease,"
IMF Working Papers
10/94, International Monetary Fund.
- Arezki, Rabah & Ismail, Kareem, 2013. "Boom–bust cycle, asymmetrical fiscal response and the Dutch disease," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 256-267.
- Zac Mills & Annette Kyobe & Jim Brumby & Chris Papageorgiou & Era Dabla-Norris, 2011.
"Investing in Public Investment: An Index of Public Investment Efficiency,"
IMF Working Papers
11/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Era Dabla-Norris & Jim Brumby & Annette Kyobe & Zac Mills & Chris Papageorgiou, 2012. "Investing in public investment: an index of public investment efficiency," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 235-266, September.
- International Monetary Fund, 2007. "IPO Behavior in GCC Countries: Goody-Two Shoes or Bad-to-the-Bone?," IMF Working Papers 07/149, International Monetary Fund.
- Aghion, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2005. "Volatility and Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248612, July.
- Sachs, J-D & Warner, A-M, 1995.
"Natural Resource Abundance and Economic Growth,"
517a, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Financial Sector Development in the Middle East and North Africa," IMF Working Papers 04/201, International Monetary Fund.
- Sami Bibi & Mustapha K. Nabli, 2009. "Income Inequality In The Arab Region: Data And Measurement, Patterns And Trends," Middle East Development Journal (MEDJ), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(02), pages 275-314.
- International Labour Office, 2012. "Global employment trends 2012 : preventing a deeper jobs crisis," Global Employment Trends Reports 467984, International Labour Office, Economic and Labour Market Analysis Department.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur, 2000.
"Natural Resources, Education, and Economic Development,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2594, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur, 2001. "Natural resources, education, and economic development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 847-859, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:12/111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.