Bank Credit, Asset Prices and Financial Stability; Evidence From French Banks
This paper analyses the effect of asset prices on credit growth in France and tries to disentangle credit demand and supply factors, both for the whole 1993-2010 period and during periods of financial instability. Using bank-level panel data at a quarterly frequency, stock price growth is shown to have a significant effect on lending growth over the whole period, but without credit supply factors being singled out. By contrast, housing price growth has a significant effect during periods of financial instability only, even after controlling for credit demand effects. These results show that credit demand factors do play a large role but also provide evidence of tighter credit constraints on households in financial instability periods.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J Coffinet & Virginie Coudert & Adrian Pop & Cyril Pouvelle, 2012.
"Two-way Interplays between Capital Buffers, Credit and Output: Evidence from French Banks,"
- Coffinet, J. & Coudert, V. & Pop, A. & Pouvelle, C., 2011. "Two-way interplays between capital buffers, credit and output: evidence from French banks," Working papers 316, Banque de France.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marques, 2008.
"Securitization and the bank lending channel,"
1101, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David Marquï¿½s, 2007. "Securitisation and the bank lending channel," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 653, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2007. "Securitisation and the bank lending channel," Working Paper Series 0838, European Central Bank.
- Thomas Chaney & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2012.
"The Collateral Channel: How Real Estate Shocks Affect Corporate Investment,"
- Thomas Chaney & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2012. "The Collateral Channel: How Real Estate Shocks Affect Corporate Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(6), pages 2381-2409, October.
- Thomas Chaney & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2010. "The Collateral Channel: How Real Estate Shocks Affect Corporate Investment," NBER Working Papers 16060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," NBER Working Papers 5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Working Papers 95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Frömmel, Michael & Schmidt, Torsten, 2006.
"Bank Lending and Asset Prices in the Euro Area,"
RWI Discussion Papers
42, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Chen, Nan-Kuang, 2001. "Bank net worth, asset prices and economic activity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 415-436, October.
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2006. "Le rôle des garanties dans les prêts des banques françaises," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 116(4), pages 501-522.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:12/103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.