Modeling Inflation in Chad
This paper examines the determinants of inflation in Chad using quarterly data from 1983:Q1 to 2009:Q3. The analysis is based on a single-equation model, completed by a structural vector auto regression model to capture inflation persistence. The results show that the main determinants of inflation in Chad are rainfall, foreign prices, exchange rate movements, and public spending. The effects of rainfall shocks and changes in foreign prices on inflation persist during six quarters. Changes in public spending and the nominal exchange rate affect inflation during three and four quarters, respectively.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simeon Coleman, 2008.
"Inflation persistence in the Franc Zone: evidence from disaggregated prices,"
2008/16, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Coleman, Simeon, 2010. "Inflation persistence in the Franc zone: Evidence from disaggregated prices," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 426-442, March.
- Régis Barnichon & Shanaka J. Peiris, 2008.
"Sources of Inflation in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 17(5), pages 729-746, November.
- Loening, Josef L. & Durevall, Dick & Ayalew Birru, Yohannes, 2009.
"Inflation Dynamics and Food Prices in an Agricultural Economy: The Case of Ethiopia,"
Working Papers in Economics
347, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Loening, Josef L. & Durevall, Dick & Birru, Yohannes A., 2009. "Inflation dynamics and food prices in an agricultural economy : the case of Ethiopia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4969, The World Bank.
- Angel J. Ubide, 1997. "Determinants of Inflation in Mozambique," IMF Working Papers 97/145, International Monetary Fund.
- Kadima D. Kalonji & Jan Gottschalk & Ken Miyajima, 2008. "Analyzing Determinants of Inflation When There Are Data Limitation: The Case of Sierra Leone," IMF Working Papers 08/271, International Monetary Fund.
- Mame Astou Diouf, 2007. "Modeling Inflation for Mali," IMF Working Papers 07/295, International Monetary Fund.
- Magda E. Kandil & Hanan Morsy, 2009.
"Determinants of Inflation in GCC,"
IMF Working Papers
09/82, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.