Who's Going Green and Why? Trends and Determinants of Green Investment
This paper fills a gap in the macroeconomic literature on renewable sources of energy. It offers a definition of green investment and analyzes the trends and determinants of this investment over the last decade for 35 advanced and emerging countries. We use a new multi-country historical dataset and find that green investment has become a key driver of the energy sector and that its rapid growth is now mostly driven by China. Our econometric results suggest that green investment is boosted by economic growth, a sound financial system conducive to low interest rates, and high fuel prices. We also find that some policy interventions, such as the introduction of carbon pricing schemes, or "feed-in-tariffs," which require use of "green" energy, have a positive and significant impact on green investment. Other interventions, such as biofuel support, do not appear to be associated with higher green investment.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parry, Ian W.H., 2012.
"Reforming the tax system to promote environmental objectives: An application to Mauritius,"
Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 103-112.
- Parry, Ian W.H., 2011. "Reforming the Tax System to Promote Environmental Objectives: An Application to Mauritius," Discussion Papers dp-11-20, Resources For the Future.
- Ian W.H. Parry, 2011. "Reforming the Tax System to Promote Environmental Objectives; An Application to Mauritius," IMF Working Papers 11/124, International Monetary Fund.
- Ambec, S. & Lanoie, P., 2007.
"When and why does it pay to be green ?,"
200704, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Stefan Ambec & Paul Lanoie, 2007. "When and why does it pay to be green?," Cahiers de recherche 07-04, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Paul Lanoie & Stefan Ambec & Iain Scott, 2007. "When and Why Does it Pay to be Green?," CIRANO Burgundy Reports 2007rb-03, CIRANO.
- Stefan Ambec & Paul Lanoie, 2007. "When and Why Does It Pay To Be Green?," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-20, CIRANO.
- David I. Stern, 2014. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve: A Primer," CCEP Working Papers 1404, Centre for Climate Economics & Policy, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Lucio Picci & Antonello E. Scorcu, 2000. "Saving, Growth, and Investment: A Macroeconomic Analysis Using a Panel of Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 182-211, May.
- Mitchell, Donald, 2008. "A note on rising food prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4682, The World Bank.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1994.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
NBER Working Papers
4634, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- P. Guerrieri & M. Luciani & V. Meliciani, 2011.
"The determinants of investment in information and communication technologies,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 387-403.
- Paolo Guerrieri & Matteo Lucani & Valentina Meliciani, 2010. "The Determinants of Investment in Information and Communication Technologies," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 16, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1994. "Environmental Quality and Development: Is There a Kuznets Curve for Air Pollution Emissions?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 147-162, September.
- Stern, David I. & Common, Michael S. & Barbier, Edward B., 1996. "Economic growth and environmental degradation: The environmental Kuznets curve and sustainable development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1151-1160, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/296. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.