Effectiveness of Capital Controls in Selected Emerging Markets in the 2000's
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Concha, Alvaro & Galindo, Arturo José & Vasquez, Diego, 2011. "An assessment of another decade of capital controls in Colombia: 1998–2008," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 319-338.
- Bruno Coelho & Kevin Gallagher, 2010. "Capital Controls and 21st Century Financial Crises: Evidence from Colombia and Thailand," Working Papers wp213, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Nicolas Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2007.
"Capital Controls: An Evaluation,"
NBER Chapters,in: Capital Controls and Capital Flows in Emerging Economies: Policies, Practices and Consequences, pages 645-674
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2005. "Capital Controls: An Evaluation," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2005-19, University of Oregon Economics Department.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Magud, Nicolas, 2007. "Capital controls: An evaluation," MPRA Paper 14097, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nicolas Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2006. "Capital Controls: An Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 11973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Karl F Habermeier & Marcos Chamon & Mahvash S Qureshi & Dennis B. S. Reinhardt, 2010. "Capital Inflows; The Role of Controls," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/04, International Monetary Fund.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Edwards, Sebastian & Valdes, Rodrigo O., 2000. "Controls on capital inflows: do they work?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Akira Ariyoshi & Andrei A Kirilenko & Inci Ötker & Bernard J Laurens & Jorge I Canales Kriljenko & Karl F Habermeier, 2000. "Capital Controls; Country Experiences with Their Use and Liberalization," IMF Occasional Papers 190, International Monetary Fund.
- Yunyong Thaicharoen & Nasha Ananchotikul, 2008.
"Thailand’s experiences with rising capital flows: recent challenges and policy responses,"
BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Financial globalisation and emerging market capital flows, volume 44, pages 427-465
Bank for International Settlements.
- Yunyong Thaicharoen & Nasha Ananchotikul, 2009. "Thailand’s experiences with rising capital flows: recent challenges and policy responses," Working Papers 2009-09, Monetary Policy Group, Bank of Thailand.
- David, Antonio C., 2007. "Revisiting Price-based Controls on Capital Inflows in a "Sophisticated" Emerging Market," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1329-1340, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Akram, Gilal Muhammad & Byrne, Joseph P., 2015. "Foreign exchange market pressure and capital controls," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 42-53.
- Barbara Fritz & Daniela Prates, 2013. "Beyond capital controls: the regulation of foreign currency derivatives markets in South Korea and Brazil after the global financial crisis," Competence Centre on Money, Trade, Finance and Development 1307, Hochschule fuer Technik und Wirtschaft, Berlin.
- Forbes, Kristin & Fratzscher, Marcel & Kostka, Thomas & Straub, Roland, 2016.
"Bubble thy neighbour: Portfolio effects and externalities from capital controls,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 99(C), pages 85-104.
- Forbes, Kristin J. & Fratzscher, Marcel & Kostka, Thomas & Straub, Roland, 2012. "Bubble thy neighbor: portfolio effects and externalities from capital controls," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov, pages 1-48.
- Kristin Forbes & Marcel Fratzscher & Thomas Kostka & Roland Straub, 2012. "Bubble Thy Neighbor: Portfolio Effects and Externalities from Capital Controls," NBER Working Papers 18052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Forbes, Kristin & Fratzscher, Marcel & Straub, Roland, 2012. "Bubble Thy Neighbor: Portfolio Effects and Externalities from Capital Controls," CEPR Discussion Papers 8979, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Forbes, Kristin & Fratzscher, Marcel & Kostka, Thomas & Straub, Roland, 2012. "Bubble thy neighbor: portfolio effects and externalities from capital controls," Working Paper Series 1456, European Central Bank.
- Straub, Roland & Forbes, Kristin & Fratzscher, Marcel & Kostka, Thomas, 2013. "Bubble Thy Neighbor: Portfolio Effects and Externalities from Capital Controls," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79785, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Li, Jie & Rajan, Ramkishen S., 2015. "Do capital controls make gross equity flows to emerging markets less volatile?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 220-244.
- Christian Saborowski & Sarah Sanya & Hans Weisfeld & Juan Yepez, 2014. "Effectiveness of Capital Outflow Restrictions," IMF Working Papers 14/8, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:kap:openec:v:28:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s11079-016-9418-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Davis, Scott & Presno, Ignacio, 2014.
"Capital controls as an instrument of monetary policy,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
171, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Ignacio Presno & Scott Davis, 2015. "Capital Controls as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," 2015 Meeting Papers 1167, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Naoyuki Yoshino & Sahoko Kaji & Tamon Asonuma, 2016. "Dynamic Effects of Changes in the Exchange Rate System," Asian Development Review, MIT Press, vol. 33(1), pages 111-161, March.
- Bruno, Valentina & Shim, Ilhyock & Shin, Hyun Song, 2017.
"Comparative assessment of macroprudential policies,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 183-202.
- Valentina Bruno & Ilhyock Shim & Hyun Song Shin, 2015. "Comparative assessment of macroprudential policies," BIS Working Papers 502, Bank for International Settlements.
- Montecino, Juan Antonio, 2015. "Capital controls and the real exchange rate: Do controls promote disequilibria?," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2015-02, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Marek Dabrowski, 2013. "Managing capital flows in a globalized economy," Chapters,in: A New Model for Balanced Growth and Convergence, chapter 7, pages 92-110 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- IRC Task Force on IMF issues & Broos, Menno & Ghalanos, Michalis & Kennedy, Bernard & Landbeck, Alexander & Lerner, Christina & Menezes, Paula & Schiavone, Alessandro & Tilley, Thomas & Viani, Frances, 2016. "Dealing with large and volatile capital flows and the role of the IMF," Occasional Paper Series 180, European Central Bank.
- Gurnain Pasricha & Matteo Falagiarda & Martin Bijsterbosch & Joshua Aizenman, 2015.
"Domestic and Multilateral Effects of Capital Controls in Emerging Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
20822, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gurnain Pasricha & Matteo Falagiarda & Martin Bijsterbosch & Joshua Aizenman, 2015. "Domestic and Multilateral Effects of Capital Controls in Emerging Markets," Staff Working Papers 15-37, Bank of Canada.
- Bijsterbosch, Martin & Falagiarda, Matteo & Pasricha, Gurnain & Aizenman, Joshua, 2015. "Domestic and multilateral effects of capital controls in emerging markets," Working Paper Series 1844, European Central Bank.
- International Monetary Fund, 2013. "Brazil; Technical Note on Macroprudential Policy Framework," IMF Staff Country Reports 13/148, International Monetary Fund.
- Valerio Nispi Landi, 2107. "Capital controls, macroprudential measures and monetary policy interactions in an emerging economy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 1154, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Beirne, John & Friedrich, Christian, 2017.
"Macroprudential policies, capital flows, and the structure of the banking sector,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 47-68.
- Beirne, John & Friedrich, Christian, 2014. "Capital flows and macroprudential policies - A multilateral assessment of effectiveness and externalities," Working Paper Series 1721, European Central Bank.
- John Beirne & Christian Friedrich, 2014. "Capital Flows and Macroprudential Policies - A Multilateral Assessment of Effectiveness and Externalities," Staff Working Papers 14-31, Bank of Canada.
- MÃ¡rcio Holland, 2014. "Managing Capital Inflows in Brazil," MIT Press Book Chapters,in: What Have We Learned? Macroeconomic Policy After the Crisis, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 24, pages 289-306 The MIT Press.
- repec:cuf:journl:y:2018:v:19:i:1:magud:reinhart:rogoff is not listed on IDEAS
- Rudiger Ahrend & Antoine Goujard & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2012. "International Capital Mobility: Which Structural Policies Reduce Financial Fragility?," OECD Economic Policy Papers 2, OECD Publishing.
- Patnaik, Ila & Malik, Sarat & Pandey, Radhika & Prateek, 2013. "Foreign investment in the Indian Government bond market," Working Papers 13/126, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Charles Engel, 2015. "Macroprudential Policy in a World of High Capital Mobility: Policy Implications from an Academic Perspective," NBER Working Papers 20951, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Rohe & Matthias Hartermann, 2015. "The role of external shocks for monetary policy in Colombia and Brazil: A Bayesian SVAR analysis," CQE Working Papers 4215, Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster.
- Karl F Habermeier & Annamaria Kokenyne & Chikako Baba, 2011. "The Effectiveness of Capital Controls and Prudential Policies in Managing Large Inflows," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2012. "Did the Indian Capital Controls Work as a Tool of Macroeconomic Policy?," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Monetary Fund, vol. 60(3), pages 439-464, September.
- Jinjarak, Yothin & Noy, Ilan & Zheng, Huanhuan, 2013. "What Lessons Can Asia Draw from Capital Controls in Brazil during 2008–2012?," ADBI Working Papers 423, Asian Development Bank Institute.
More about this item
KeywordsCapital inflows; Capital controls; Private capital flows; emerging market economies; capital flows; net capital flows; current account balance;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-MON-2011-12-19 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2011-12-19 (South East Asia)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/281. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .