Velocity of Pledged Collateral: Analysis and Implications
Large banks and dealers use and reuse collateral pledged by nonbanks, which helps lubricate the global financial system. The supply of collateral arises from specific investment strategies in the asset management complex, with the primary providers being hedge funds, pension funds, insurers, official sector accounts, money markets and others. Post-Lehman, there has been a significant decline in the source collateral for the large dealers that specialize in intermediating pledgeable collateral. Since collateral can be reused, the overall effect (i.e., reduced ?source' of collateral times the velocity of collateral) may have been a $4-5 trillion reduction in collateral. This decline in financial lubrication likely has impact on the conduct of global monetary policy. And recent regulations aimed at financial stability, focusing on building equity and reducing leverage at large banks/dealers, may also reduce financial lubrication in the nonbank/bank nexus.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Gorton & Andrew Metrick, 2009.
"Securitized Banking and the Run on Repo,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
amz2358, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Sep 2009.
- Gorton, Gary & Metrick, Andrew, 2012. "Securitized banking and the run on repo," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(3), pages 425-451.
- Gary Gorton & Andrew Metrick, 2010. "Securitized Banking and the Run on Repo," NBER Chapters, in: Market Institutions and Financial Market Risk National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arvind Krishnamurthy & Stefan Nagel & Dmitry Orlov, 2014.
"Sizing Up Repo,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 69(6), pages 2381-2417, December.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Gary Gorton & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2012.
NBER Macroeconomics Annual,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(1), pages 149 - 176.
- Andrew Ang & Sergiy Gorovyy & Gregory B. van Inwegen, 2011.
"Hedge Fund Leverage,"
NBER Working Papers
16801, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adrian, Tobias & Shin, Hyun Song, 2010.
"Liquidity and leverage,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 418-437, July.
- Dive, Matthew & Hodge, Ronan & Jones, Catrin & Purchase, James, 2011. "Developments in the global securities lending market," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 51(3), pages 224-233.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/256. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.