Financial Integration and Rebalancing in Asia
The paper shows that Asia's degree of financial integration, both with the world and within the region remains low by various measures. The paper also provides empirical evidence that greater financial integration can support economic rebalancing in statistically meaningful ways. The implication is that in the debate on managing capital inflows the longer-term benefits of financial openness for broader-based growth should not be forgotten.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdul d Abiad & Nienke Oomes & Kenichi Ueda, 2004.
"The Quality Effect; Does Financial Liberalization Improve the Allocation of Capital?,"
IMF Working Papers
- Abiad, Abdul & Oomes, Nienke & Ueda, Kenichi, 2008. "The quality effect: Does financial liberalization improve the allocation of capital?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 270-282, October.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2010.
"Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7694, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2011. "Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centres," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 301-330, 06.
- Philip Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2010. "Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centers," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp316, IIIS.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian M Milesi-Ferretti, 2010. "Cross-Border Investment in Small International Financial Centers," IMF Working Papers 10/38, .
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2008.
"A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 149-172, Summer.
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram Rajan, 2008. "A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization," NBER Working Papers 14051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Prasad, Eswar & Rajan, Raghuram G., 2008. "A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization," IZA Discussion Papers 3475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Philip Woolbridge & Doo Yong Yang, 2009.
"Why don\'t Asians invest in Asia:The determinants of cross-border portfolio holdings,"
0908, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Philip Wooldridge & Doo Yong Yang, 2009. "Why Don't Asians Invest in Asia? The Determinants of Cross-Border Portfolio Holdings," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 8(3), pages 228-246, October.
- Martin Schindler, 2009. "Measuring Financial Integration: A New Data Set," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 222-238, April.
- Julian di Giovanni & Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 2003.
"What Drives Capital Flows? The Case of Cross-Border M&A Activity and Financial Deepening,"
- di Giovanni, Julian, 2005. "What drives capital flows? The case of cross-border M&A activity and financial deepening," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 127-149, January.
- di Giovanni, Julian, 2002. "What Drives Capital Flows? The Case of Cross-Border M&A Activity and Financial Deepening," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt7nq6d7wp, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Torsten M Sloek & Hali J Edison & Luca A Ricci & Ross Levine, 2002.
"International Financial Integration and Economic Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
- Edison, Hali J. & Levine, Ross & Ricci, Luca & Slok, Torsten, 2002. "International financial integration and economic growth," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 749-776, November.
- Hali J. Edison & Ross Levine & Luca Ricci & Torsten Slok, 2002. "International Financial Integration and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 9164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2004.
"A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default, and Credit,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 50-63, June.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default and Credit," NBER Working Papers 9285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "A gravity model of sovereign lending: trade, default and credit," Working Paper Series 2002-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2006. "Did financial liberalization ease financing constraints? Evidence from Indian firm-level data," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 176-190, June.
- Kim, Soyoung & Lee, Jong-Wha & Shin, Kwanho, 2006.
"Regional and Global Financial Integration in East Asia,"
695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soyoung Kim & Jong-Wha Lee & Kwanho Shin, 2006. "Regional and Global Financial Integration in East Asia," Discussion Paper Series 0602, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Olaf Unteroberdoerster & Cynthia Leung, 2008. "Hong Kong SAR as a Financial Center for Asia; Trends and Implications," IMF Working Papers 08/57, .
- Joshua Felman & Simon Gray & Mangal Goswami & Andreas A. Jobst & Mahmood Pradhan & Shanaka Peiris & Dulani Seneviratne, 2014.
"ASEAN-5 bond market development: Where does it stand? Where is it going?,"
Asian-Pacific Economic Literature,
Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 28(1), pages 60-75, 05.
- Mahmood Pradhan & Shanaka J Peiris & Mangal Goswami & Dulani Seneviratne & Joshua Felman & Andreas Jobst & Simon T Gray, 2011. "Asean Bond Market Development; Where Does it Stand? Where is it Going?," IMF Working Papers 11/137, .
- Peter Isard, 2007. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates; Assessment Methodologies," IMF Working Papers 07/296, .
- Séverine Blaise, 2009. "Japanese aid as a prerequisite for FDI: the case of Southeast Asian countries," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 385, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Jaewoo Lee & Jonathan David Ostry & Alessandro Prati & Luca A Ricci & Gian M Milesi-Ferretti, 2008. "Exchange Rate Assessments; CGER Methodologies," IMF Occasional Papers 261, International Monetary Fund.
- SÃƒÂ©verine Blaise, 2009. "Japanese Aid as a Prerequisite for FDI : The Case of Southeast Asian Countries," Finance Working Papers 22767, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.