Inflation Targeting and Monetary Policy Transmission Mechanisms in Emerging Market Economies
In this paper we empirically examine the operation of the traditional Keynesian interest rate channel of the monetary policy transmission mechanism in five potential inflation targeting economies in the MENA region and compare it with fourteen inflation targeting (IT) emerging market economies (EMEs) using panel data analysis. Contrary to some existing studies, our empirical results suggest that private consumption and investment in both groups of countries are sensitive to movements in real interest rates. Moreover, we find that the adoption of IT did not significantly alter the operation of the interest rate channel in IT EMEs. Also, the interest rate elasticities of private consumption and private investment vary with the level of development of the domestic financial market. Finally, capital account liberalization have opposite effects on private consumption and private investment in the two groups of countries.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA|
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Ioannis Tokatlidis, 2003.
"Financial Liberalisation: The African Experience,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(Supplemen), pages 53-88, September.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2005. "Before and After Financial Liberalization," MPRA Paper 6986, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2000. "Financial Liberalization: The African Experience," MPRA Paper 13423, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ben Naceur, Samy & Ghazouani, Samir & Omran, Mohammed, 2008. "Does stock market liberalization spur financial and economic development in the MENA region?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 673-693, December.
- Maurice Obstfeld., 1998.
"The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C98-098, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1998. "The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt3kn3n2s8, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2000. "The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?," International Finance 0004001, EconWPA.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1998. "The Global Capital Market: Benefactor or Menace?," NBER Working Papers 6559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert M. Townsend & Kenichi Ueda, 2010.
"Welfare Gains From Financial Liberalization,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(3), pages 553-597, 08.
- Joshua Greene & Delano Villanueva, 1991. "Private Investment in Developing Countries: An Empirical Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Lahcen ACHY, 2004. "Financial liberalization, saving, investment and growth in MENA countries," Finance 0411004, EconWPA.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ostry, Jonathan, 1995.
"Saving and real interest rates in developing countries,"
13352, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ostry, Jonathan, 1995.
"El ahorro y 1a tasa de interes real en los paises en desarrollo
[Saving and the Real Interest Rate in Developing Countries]," MPRA Paper 13733, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ostry, Jonathan, 1995. "El ahorro y 1a tasa de interes real en los paises en desarrollo
- Jonathan Gruber, 2006. "A Tax-Based Estimate of the Elasticity of Intertemporal Substitution," NBER Working Papers 11945, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mustapha Kamel Nabli, 2007. "Breaking the Barriers to Higher Economic Growth : Better Governance and Deeper Reforms in the Middle East and North Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6914, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.