Decentralizing Spending More Than Revenue; Does it Hurt Fiscal Performance?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Roy Bahl & Sally Wallace, 2004. "Intergovernmental Transfers: The Vertical Sharing Dimension," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0419, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Ernesto Crivelli & Adam Leive & Thomas Stratmann, 2010. "Subnational Health Spending and Soft Budget Constraints in OECD Countries," IMF Working Papers 10/147, International Monetary Fund.
- Roy Bahl & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 2013. "Sequencing Fiscal Decentralization," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 14(2), pages 641-687, November.
- Luiz de Mello, 2007. "Local Government Finances: The Link between Intergovernmental Transfers and Net Worth," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 581, OECD Publishing.
- Hansjörg Blöchliger & David King, 2006. "Fiscal Autonomy of Sub-Central Governments," OECD Working Papers on Fiscal Federalism 2, OECD Publishing.
- Thushyanthan Baskaran, 2010.
"On the link between fiscal decentralization and public debt in OECD countries,"
Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 351-378, December.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2010. "On the Link Between Fiscal Decentralization and Public Debt in OECD Countries," MPRA Paper 21599, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander Plekhanov & Raju Singh, 2006.
"How Should Subnational Government Borrowing Be Regulated?Some Cross-Country Empirical Evidence,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(3), pages 1-4.
- Alexander Plekhanov & Raju J Singh, 2005. "How Should Subnational Government Borrowing Be Regulated? Some Cross-Country Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 05/54, International Monetary Fund.
- de Mello, Luiz Jr, 2000. "Fiscal Decentralization and Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations: A Cross-Country Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 365-380, February.
- Charles E. McLure, Jr. & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 1998. "Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations in Vietnam," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper9802, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ctc:serie1:def2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Makreshanska, Suzana & Petrevski, Goran, 2016. "Fiscal decentralization and government size across Europe," MPRA Paper 82472, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dietrichson, Jens & Ellegård, Lina Maria, 2015.
"Assist or desist? Conditional bailouts and fiscal discipline in local governments,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 153-168.
- Dietrichson, Jens & Ellegård, Lina Maria, 2012. "Assist or Desist? Conditional Bailouts and Fiscal Discipline in Local Governments," Working Papers 2012:24, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 12 Feb 2015.
- Jens Dietrichson & Lina Maria EllegÃ¥rd, 2013. "Assist or desist? Conditional bailouts and fiscal discipline in local governments," ERSA conference papers ersa13p598, European Regional Science Association.
- Sergio Beraldo & Massimiliano Piacenza & Gilberto Turati, 2012. "Fiscal Decentralization In Weak Institutional Environments," Post-Print halshs-00706970, HAL.
- Izabela Karpowicz, 2012. "Narrowing Vertical Fiscal Imbalances in Four European Countries," IMF Working Papers 12/91, International Monetary Fund.
- Köppl Turyna, Monika & Pitlik, Hans, 2016.
"Do equalization payments affect subnational borrowing? Evidence from regression discontinuity,"
73749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Monika Köppl-Turyna & Hans Pitlik, 2016. "Do Equalisation Payments Affect Subnational Borrowing? Evidence From Regression Discontinuity," WIFO Working Papers 528, WIFO.
- Fardoust, Shahrokh & Lin, Justin Yifu & Luo, Xubei, 2012. "Demystifying China's fiscal stimulus," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6221, The World Bank.
- Francese, Maura & Piacenza, Massimiliano & Romanelli, Marzia & Turati, Gilberto, 2014. "Understanding inappropriateness in health spending: The role of regional policies and institutions in caesarean deliveries," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 262-277.
- Gu, Gyun Cheol, 2012. "Developing Composite Indicators for Fiscal Decentralization: Which Is The Best Measure For Whom?," MPRA Paper 43032, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luc Eyraud & Marialuz Moreno Badia, 2013. "Too Small to Fail? Subnational Spending Pressures in Europe," IMF Working Papers 13/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Massimo Bordignon & Matteo Gamalerio & Gilberto Turati, 2013.
"Decentralization, Vertical Fiscal Imbalance, and Political Selection,"
DISCE - Working Papers del Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza
def002, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Massimo Bordignon & Matteo Gamalerio & Gilberto Turati, 2014. "Decentralization, Vertical Fiscal Imbalance, and Political Selection," Working papers 025, Department of Economics and Statistics (Dipartimento di Scienze Economico-Sociali e Matematico-Statistiche), University of Torino.
- Massimo Bordignon & Matteo Gamalerio & Gilberto Turati, 2013. "Decentralization, Vertical Fiscal Imbalance, and Political Selection," CESifo Working Paper Series 4459, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ross A. Williams, 2005. "Federal-State Financial Relations in Australia: The Role of the Commonwealth Grants Commission," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 38(1), pages 108-118, March.
More about this item
KeywordsFiscal balance; OECD; fiscal federalism; vertical gap; local governments; decentralization; fiscal performance; sub-national governments; vertical fiscal imbalance; fiscal imbalance; Structure; Scope; and Performance of Government; National Deficit Surplus; State and Local Taxation; Subsidies; and Revenue; State and Local Budget and Expenditures;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2011-10-15 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2011-10-15 (Public Economics)
- NEP-URE-2011-10-15 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/226. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.