The Taxation and Regulation of Banks
The financial crisis has prompted a reconsideration of the taxation of financial institutions, with practice outstripping principle: France, Germany, the United Kingdom and several other European countries have now introduced some form of bank tax, and the U.S. administration has revived its own proposal for such a charge. This paper considers the structure, appropriate rate, and revenue yield of corrective taxation of financial institutions addressed to two externalities, consequent on excessive risk-taking, prominent in the crisis: those that arise when such institutions are simply allowed to collapse, and those that arise when, to avoid the harm this would cause, their creditors are bailed out. It also asks whether corrective taxation or a regulatory capital requirement is the better way to address these concerns. The results suggest a potential role for taxing bank borrowing, perhaps as an adjunct to minimum capital requirements, at marginal rates that rise quite sharply at low capital ratios (but are likely lower when the government cannot commit to its bailout policy), reaching levels higher than those of the bank taxes so far adopted or proposed.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier Bianchi & Enrique G. Mendoza, 2010.
"Overborrowing, Financial Crises and 'Macro-prudential' Taxes,"
NBER Working Papers
16091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Enrique Mendoza & Javier Bianchi, 2010. "Overborrowing, financial crises and ‘macro-prudential’ taxes," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Oct.
- Lev Ratnovski & Rocco Huang, 2010.
"The Dark Side of Bank Wholesale Funding,"
IMF Working Papers
10/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2003.
"Risktaking, Limited Liability, and the Competition of Bank Regulators,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19615, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2002. "Risktaking, Limited Liability, and the Competition of Bank Regulators," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 59(3), pages 305-, August.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2001. "Risk Taking, Limited Liability and the Competition of Bank Regulators," NBER Working Papers 8669, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2001. "Risk Taking, Limited Liability and the Competition of Bank Regulators," CESifo Working Paper Series 603, CESifo Group Munich.
- Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Huizinga, H.P., 2010. "Are Banks Too Big to Fail or Too Big to Save? International Evidence from Equity Prices and CDS Spreads," Discussion Paper 2010-59, .
- Hoggarth, Glenn & Reis, Ricardo & Saporta, Victoria, 2002.
"Costs of banking system instability: Some empirical evidence,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 825-855, May.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Ricardo Reis & Victoria Saporta, 2001. "Costs of banking system instability: some empirical evidence," Bank of England working papers 144, Bank of England.
- Viral V. Acharya, 2010. "Measuring systemic risk," Proceedings 1140, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Korinek, Anton, 2011.
"Systemic risk-taking: amplification effects, externalities, and regulatory responses,"
Working Paper Series
1345, European Central Bank.
- Anton Korinek, 2011. "Systemic Risk-Taking: Amplification Effects, Externalities, and Regulatory Responses," NFI Working Papers 2011-WP-13, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Vidar Christiansen & Stephen Smith, 2012.
"Externality-Correcting Taxes and Regulation,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 114(2), pages 358-383, 06.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2010:i:may:p:65-71 is not listed on IDEAS
- Celine Gauthier & Alfred Lehar & Moez Souissi, 2010. "Macroprudential Regulation and Systemic Capital Requirements," Working Papers 10-4, Bank of Canada.
- Doina Maria Radulescu, 2010.
"The Effects of a Bonus Tax on Manager Compensation and Welfare,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3030, CESifo Group Munich.
- Doina Radulescu, 2012. "The Effects of a Bonus Tax on Manager Compensation and Welfare," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 68(1), pages 1-16, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.