South Africa; The Cyclical Behavior of the Markups and its Implications for Monetary Policy
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Fedderke, Johannes & Szalontai, Gábor, 2009.
"Industry concentration in South African manufacturing industry: Trends and consequences, 1972-96,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 241-250, January.
- Johannes Fedderke & Gabor Szalontai, 2005. "Industry Concentration in South African Manufacturing Industry: Trends and Consequences, 1972-96," Working Papers 23, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Robert S. Chirinko & Steven M. Fazzari, 2000. "Market Power and Inflation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 509-513, August.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Russell, Bill, 2005. "Inflation and measures of the markup," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 289-306, June.
- Katharine S. Neiss, 2001. "The markup and inflation: evidence in OECD countries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 570-587, May.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Martin, Christopher & Small, Ian, 1995. "Price, Marginal Cost and the Business Cycle," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 25-41, February.
- Philippe Aghion & Matias Braun & Johannes Fedderke, 2008.
"Competition and productivity growth in South Africa,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 16(4), pages 741-768, October.
- Philippe Aghion & Matias Braun & Johannes Fedderke, 2006. "Competition and Productivity Growth in South Africa," CID Working Papers 132, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Aghion, Philippe & Braun, Matias & Fedderke, Johannes, 2008. "Competition and Productivity Growth in South Africa," Scholarly Articles 3350068, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Matias Braun & Johannes Fedderke, 2007. "Competition and Productivity Growth in South Africa," Working Papers 54, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Machin, Stephen & Van Reenen, John, 1993. "Profit Margins and the Business Cycle: Evidence from UK Manufacturing Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 29-50, March.
- Christopher Bowdler & Eilev S. Jansen, 2004.
"Testing for a time-varying price-cost markup in the Euro area inlation process,"
2004/9, Norges Bank.
- Christopher Bowdler & Eilev S. Jansen, 2004. "Testing for a time-varying price-cost markup in the Euro area inflation process," Working Paper Series 4004, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, revised 11 May 2004.
- Bowdler, Christopher & Jansen, Eilev S., 2004. "Testing for a time-varying price-cost markup in the Euro area inflation process," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt4s75w541, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Christopher Bowdler & Eilev S. Jansen, 2004. "Testing for a time-varying price-cost markup in the Euro area inflation process," Economics Papers 2004-W10, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Steinsson, Jon, 2003.
"Optimal monetary policy in an economy with inflation persistence,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1425-1456, October.
- Jón Steinsson, 2000. "Optimal monetary policy in an economy with inflation persistence," Economics wp11, Department of Economics, Central bank of Iceland.
- Macallan, Clare & Millard, Stephen & Parker, Miles, 2008. "The cyclicality of mark-ups and profit margins for the United Kingdom: some new evidence," Bank of England working papers 351, Bank of England.
- Gottfries, Nils, 1991. "Customer Markets, Credit Market Imperfections and Real Price Rigidity," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(231), pages 317-323, August.
- Johannes Fedderke & Chandana Kularatne & Martine Mariotti, 2007. "Mark-up Pricing in South African Industry," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(1), pages 28-69, January.
- Benabou, Roland, 1992.
"Inflation and markups : Theories and evidence from the retail trade sector,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 566-574, April.
- Benabou, R., 1991. "Inflation and Markups: Theories and Evidence from the Retail Trade Sector," Working papers 587, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charl Jooste & Yaseen Jhaveri, 2014. "The Determinants of Time-Varying Exchange Rate Pass-Through in South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 82(4), pages 603-615, December.
- World Bank Group, 2016. "South Africa Economic Update, February 2016," World Bank Other Operational Studies 23762, The World Bank.
- Liew, Freddy, 2012. "Forecasting inflation in Asian economies," MPRA Paper 36781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
KeywordsMonetary policy; South Africa; Counter-cyclical markups; output gap-inflation co-movement; inflation; gdp deflator; monetary economics; inflation targeting framework; Market Structure and Pricing: Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2011-09-22 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-HME-2011-09-22 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-09-22 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2011-09-22 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/imfffus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.