Home Sweet Home: Government's Role in Reaching the American Dream
This paper investigates the role of government intervention in achieving the American dream of homeownership. The study analyzes the role of tax deductions in housing finance, including their impact on homeownership and housing consumption. The role of the Government Sponsored Enterprises in facilitating the creation of a secondary market for mortgage-backed securities is also analyzed as well as the role of the Federal Housing Administration. Cross-country comparisons of how housing is financed in other industrial countries is also provided, emphasizing how other countries have been able to achieve comparable homeownership rates as the United States in a less complicated and fiscally cheaper system. Country experiences of successfully phasing out government intervention are also analyzed.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- International Monetary Fund, 2004. "The Kingdom of the Netherlandsâ€”Netherlands: Financial System Stability Assessment, including Reports on the Observance of Standards and Codes on the following topics: Banking Supervision, Securities," IMF Staff Country Reports 04/312, International Monetary Fund.
- Thomas Hemmelgarn & Gaetan Nicodeme & Ernesto Zangari, 2011. "The Role of Housing Tax Provisions in the 2008 Financial Crisis," Taxation Papers 27, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Eugene Amromin & Jennifer Huang & Clemens Sialm & Edward Zhong, 2010.
Working Paper Series
WP-2010-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Dell’Ariccia, G. & Igan, D. & Laeven, L., 2009.
"Credit Booms and Lending Standards : Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market,"
2009-46 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Giovanni Dell’Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2012. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 367-384, 03.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Luc Laeven & Deniz Igan, 2008. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence From the Subprime Mortgage Market," IMF Working Papers 08/106, International Monetary Fund.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Laeven, Luc, 2008. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence From The Subprime Mortgage Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 6683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark Doms & Meryl Motika, 2006. "Property debt burdens," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue jul28.
- Richard K. Green & Susan M. Wachter, 2005.
"The American Mortgage in Historical and International Context,"
9094, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Richard K. Green & Susan M. Wachter, 2005. "The American Mortgage in Historical and International Context," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 93-114, Fall.
- Joseph Gyourko & Todd Sinai, 2003. "The Spatial Distribution of Housing-Related Ordinary Income Tax Benefits," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 527-575, December.
- Paul van den Noord, 2003.
"Tax Incentives and House Price Volatility in the Euro Area: Theory and Evidence,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
356, OECD Publishing.
- Paul van den Noord, 2005. "Tax Incentives and House Price Volatility in the Euro Area: Theory and Evidence," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 101, pages 29-45.
- Rosanne Altshuler & Robert Dietz, 2008. "Reconsidering Tax Expenditure Estimation: Challenges And Reforms," Departmental Working Papers 200804, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Hemmelgarn & Gaetan Nicodeme, 2010.
"The 2008 Financial Crisis and Taxation Policy,"
20, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Hemmelgarn, Thomas & Nicodème, Gaëtan, 2010. "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Taxation Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7666, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Hemmelgarn & Gaëtan J.A. Nicodème, 2010. "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Taxation Policy," CESifo Working Paper Series 2932, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thomas Hemmelgarn & Gaëtan Nicodème, 2010. "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Taxation Policy," Working Papers CEB 10-006.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gabriel, Stuart A. & Rosenthal, Stuart S., 2005.
"Homeownership in the 1980s and 1990s: aggregate trends and racial gaps,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 101-127, January.
- Stuart A. Gabriel & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 2004. "Homeownership in the 1980s and 1990s: Aggregate Trends and Racial Gaps," Working Paper 8596, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Lawrence R. Cordell & Karen E. Dynan & Andreas Lehnert & J. Nellie Liang & Eileen Mauskopf, 2008. "The incentives of mortgage servicers: myths and realities," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2008-46, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Glenn B. Canner & Elizabeth Laderman & Andreas Lehnert & Wayne Passmore, 2002. "Does the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) cause banks to provide a subsidy to some mortgage borrowers?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John Kiff, 2009. "Canadian Residential Mortgage Markets: Boring But Effective?," IMF Working Papers 09/130, International Monetary Fund.
- Jaffee, Dwight M. & Quigley, John M., 2007. "Housing Subsidies and Homeowners: What Role for Government-Sponsored Enterprises?," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt6g8986r5, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Follain, James R. & Hendershott, Patric H. & Ling, David C., 1992. "Real Estate Markets Since 1980: What Role Have Tax Changes Played?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 45(3), pages 253-66, September.
- Lars Jonung & Hans Tson Söderström & Joakim Stymne, 1996. "Depression in the north - boom and bust in Sweden and Finland, 1985-93," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 55-71, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/191. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.