Customs Administration Reform and Modernization in anglophone Africa; Early 1990's to Mid-2010
Anglophone African countries have been implementing reform and modernization initiatives in their Customs administrations. This paper outlines the progression of key reform and modernization initiatives in these countries since the early 1990s, and assesses the gap between these reforms and those of more modern Customs agencies. The review suggests that Customs administration reform and modernization initiatives in Anglophone African countries generally lag behind international good practice and it is necessary to speed up implementation if revenue, trade facilitation, and trade chain security objectives are to be achieved. The findings also have implications on the design of reform programs and focus of potential technical assistance for the outstanding reform agenda.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/pubs/ord_info.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Imam Patrick Amir & Jacobs Davina, 2014.
"Effect of Corruption on Tax Revenues in the Middle East,"
Review of Middle East Economics and Finance,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 24, April.
- Patrick A. Imam & Davina F. Jacobs, 2007. "Effect of Corruptionon Tax Revenues in the Middle East," IMF Working Papers 07/270, International Monetary Fund.
- David Stasavage & Cécile Daubrée, 1998. "Determinants of Customs Fraud and Corruption: Evidence from Two African Countries," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 138, OECD Publishing.
- John Thornton & Fabian Bornhorst & Sanjeev Gupta, 2008. "Natural Resource Endowments, Governance, and the Domestic Revenueeffort; Evidence From a Panel of Countries," IMF Working Papers 08/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Mario Mansour & Michael Keen, 2009. "Revenue Mobilization in Sub-Saharan Africa; Challenges From Globalization," IMF Working Papers 09/157, International Monetary Fund.
- Irène Hors, 2001. "Fighting Corruption in Customs Administration: What Can we Learn from Recent Experiences?," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 175, OECD Publishing.
- Cletus C. Coughlin, 2010. "Measuring international trade policy: a primer on trade restrictiveness indices," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 381-394.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imf:imfwpa:11/184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow)or (Hassan Zaidi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.